Senior Software Engineer- Streaming Platform
Bloomberg is the global leader in business and financial data, news and insight. Using the power of technology, we connect the world's decision makers to accurate information on the financial markets - and help them make faster, smarter decisions.
We are building an enterprise-wide Streaming Platform as a Service (or SPaaS) to support large-scale, low-latency stream processing pipelines to help our engineering teams collect, transport, transform and act on market events. The platform is targeting a variety of streaming analytics workloads such as Tickstream and Tradeflow processing, with the workloads being both high-throughput (in the order of millions of messages/sec) and low-latency (sub-10 milliseconds). The platform is built on top of Kubernetes and extends it to provide streaming-related abstractions and workflows.
In line with Bloomberg's philosophy, the team building the platform is small, nimble and developer-driven, located in our San Francisco office. The platform is built with open source components and provides engineers on the team, opportunities to engage the open source community in driving design discussions and implementation.
If the opportunity to define and implement key components of this platform sounds like the challenge you've been looking for, we'd love to hear from you. We'll Trust you To:
You'll Need to Have:
- Be an advocate for streaming architectures and stream processing technologies within Bloomberg and help build a developer community around it
- Partner with fellow engineers across Bloomberg to identify use cases and define requirements and features for the platform
- Build infrastructure service abstractions and tooling that remove cognitive burden and allow end users to focus on solving business problems
We'd Love to See:
- Experience building high performance distributed systems, solving large scale engineering challenges
- 3+ years experience programming in 2 major programming languages (Java/Scala and Python/Go) and willing to pick up more as needed
- In-depth knowledge and experience with Apache Kafka
- Familiarity with stream processing frameworks and technologies such as Flink, Kafka Streams and Spark Streaming
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build partnerships with fellow engineers
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- Experience building and deploying containerized applications on Kubernetes
- Experience building self service platforms
- Open Source contributions of any sort
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.