Senior Storage Engineer
Description About this role
The technology Infrastructure Storage team is comprised of individuals possessing broad and commanding knowledge across many Storage technology stacks. The leaders within the team provide leadership, innovation, timely delivery, and the ability to articulate business value. In this role, you will be in an outstanding position to build and evolve the firm's global enterprise Storage strategy.
The global storage team is responsible for handling and backing up over 25+ petabytes of data. Team leads multi vendor Storage environment that consists of EMC UNITY, Hitachi VSP, NetApp FAS filers, NetApp Storage Grid, Veritas NetBackup with Quantum robots and Data Domain for data back ups. The team consists of roughly 20 people with 45% in Delaware, 50% in Singapore, and the rest at a few other offices. The team operates in a 7x24 model with Singapore covering 2 shifts Monday through Sunday, and Delaware covering 1 shift on Mondays to Saturdays in the office and Sunday on call. Staff work a 5 day week, with on call duty and some off hour project work required. The team is responsible for day to day operations as well as Engineering for Storage Platforms. Responsibilities
- Drive meetings with domain specialists from all areas of the business including: Infrastructure, Applications, Vendors, Architects and Leads.
- Plan/coordinate migrations, resource requirements and timelines.
- Owns the analysis of the current storage environment and define strategy via roadmaps to address the gaps between the current and future state
- Liaises with external providers to resolve any issues in the functionality and interoperability of our storage platforms.
- Handle partnerships with various storage vendors, demonstrating technologies associated with NAS/SAN/vSAN/Object Storage vendors, product improvements and product roadmap
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure consistent storage provisioning, uptime, regulatory compliance and data protection
- Develop and lead metrics for performance and usage as well as data analytics to support forecasting of future projected growth and performance.
- Responsible for translating sophisticated functional and technical requirements into detailed architectural designs
- Day-to-day administration of storage, including supervising the Storage ticket queues, restores, resolving issues related to backups, allocations, SAN/NAS connectivity issues, storage hardware and software issues, storage device performance monitoring, storage sizing, storage integration with systems
- Periodic Reporting - Put in place measures and collect metrics and produce reports for discussion with the end user groups in terms of the health of the environment.
- Design & Architecture - Actively partner with the other teams such as platform, Database as well as Application to craft and implement a reliable, highly available architecture to ensure maximum upe and performance.
- Communication - Work effectively with other Infrastructure groups including the Network, Server & Database teams as well as the Application Development teams
- Documentation - Document critical processes and procedures to ensure consistency and quality.
- Place Storage procedures and follow Company procedures and processes to ensure that Audit and Regulatory requirements are met.
- 8+years of experience supporting Storage Area Networks (SAN), EMC enterprise storage systems (Hitachi, EMC Unity, Infinidat)
- Experience implementing and handling NetApp Storage platforms.
- Experienced with Hyper-Converged Integrated Systems and storage-optimized solutions.
- Experience with all-flash arrays, storage virtualization (hardware and software based), reduplication and encryption technologies
- Experienced running and fixing storage fabrics
- Experienced in leading enterprise backup architecture, emphasizing NetBackup Enterprise Server, NetBackup for VMware, and NetBackup DB integration capabilities
- Experience with Storage Resource Management (SRM) tools
- Proficient in leading the business of data storage (cost/benefit analysis, budgetary impact, tiering of storage services for application and end-user computing)
- Ability to analyze and solve storage related issues working with multi-functional teams
- Solid experience in fault-tolerant, secure and scalable distributed systems
- Experience with object storage, Apache HBase, Apache Cassandra, S3, etc.
- Some experience with coding skills in Python, PowerShell, C++, Java
- Understanding of Kubernetes, Ansible, Puppet, Linux/Windows OS Platforms, Github
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Enterprise Architecture
- Developing strategy as well as writing, communicating, facilitating and presenting convincingly to all levels of the firm's partners.
- Demonstrating IT strategy, roadmaps, architecture, engineering, operations, policy/processes/ best common practices, innovation and program delivery
- Sophisticated design skills and support solutions in a hybrid computing and virtualized computing environment.
- Ability to build Architecture blueprints that include storage infrastructure design.
- Must possess a solid knowledge of Agile methodologies and be able to put key Agile principles into practice to deliver solutions incrementally.
- Valid and demonstrable experience in architecting, designing and implementing high volume, highly available systems
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with solid ability to influence both IT and business partners
- The position will be required to work on shifts. These shifts will also cover the weekends.
- Work days could be staggered over the week
- Public Cloud exposure/Certification is a plus
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.32 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.