The Group: The Data Services group is the central nervous system of consolidating, normalizing, calculating and distributing Morningstars high-quality data and capabilities around that data for internal and external consumers. The individuals in this group thrive to ensure that we meet Morningstars internal and external data needs with high quality, high satisfaction, in a technologically sound manner.
The Role: In this role, you will participate in the analysis of new feature/content requests and help multifunctional development teams to understand WHAT need to be done to meet internal and external users need through Morningstars next generation API service. This service currently fuels the flagship Morningstar Direct Web product, and Morningstar Data Service data feed system, and will ultimately support majority of products offered by Morningstar. You will be responsible for researching and definition of requirements in detail for development teams. You will be responsible to provide test strategy and test cases for QA teams. You will also in charge of building methodology for calculation and data logic. Finally, you will write documentation to build a deep knowledge base for global client support teams to investigate issues and answer clients questions. The ideal candidate will have a passion of data and software, excellent English communication capability and good understanding of Morningstar data and methodologies. This role will be based in our Chicago office.
1. Communicate with internal and external clients, client success teams to understand and clarify business requirements.
2. Convert business requirements into actionable solutions through detailed analysis such as calculation prototyping, usage analysis, and data mapping/mining/locating in various data sources.
3. Write specification according to requirements and explain details to project team.
4. Collaborate with PM, tech leader, developer, and QA to deliver project according to requirements, such as test account creation, calculation verification.
5. Support existing business and products.
1. 3+ years of business analysis or data analysis.
2. 3+ years of experience with Morningstar software and or Data
3. Possess a bachelors degree in Finance or relevant subjects.
4. Self-motivated, excellent work ethic, strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work in a team environment.
5. Excellent problem-solving skills.
6. Ability to learn quickly and work independently.
7. Advanced knowledge in data business and methodology of Equity, Fund, and Fixed Income.
8. Basic knowledge of SQL, excel and statistic will be preferable.
9. CFA chart holder or CFA candidate will be preferable.
10. Knowledge of Portfolio calculation system is a plus
11. Knowledge of entitlement system is a plus
How to Apply for a Job at Morningstar
When you find a position you're interested in, click the 'Apply' button. Please fill out this form completely, attaching your resume and cover letter in the approved format. Read the job requirements carefully and make sure to attach writing or design samples as required. Applicants must submit their resume and other information through our corporate website to be considered for a job at Morningstar. No phone calls, please.
You will receive an email notification to confirm that we've received your application.
If you are called in for an interview, a representative from Morningstar will contact you to set up a date, time, and location. Be prepared for a rigorous interview process. To make sure you're a good fit for Morningstar and we're a good fit for you, we'll schedule time for you to meet with multiple staff members at all levels of the company. Expect to return for multiple interviews as part of the process. A representative from Morningstar will contact you with the results of your intervieweither with a job offer or to let you know our plans for the position.
Applicants With Disabilities Who Need Accommodation
Morningstar is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please call +1 312 384-3900 or email and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
US Applicants: Morningstar is an E-Verify program participant.
Morningstar is strongly committed to creating and preserving equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We make all employment decisionsincluding recruitment, hiring, compensation, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, termination, and other personnel matterswithout regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship, gender identity and expression, parental status, or other legally protected characteristics or conduct.