Business Strategist, Investment Research
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
Our global investment platform is comprised of over 500 investment professionals across four investment functions (Boutiques, Research, Science, and Strategy) in seven locations (Boston, Hong Kong, London, Radnor, San Francisco, Singapore, and Tokyo).
Within the investment platform, we are seeking a Business Strategist to partner with our Investment Research team. The ideal candidate will be a leader within both the Investment Research team and the Investment Platform Business Management Team (IPBMT), part of the group residing at the intersection of the investment functions. The group is building shared 'Centers of Excellence' to benefit all investment groups, drive integration across the platform, take a long-term view, and ensure the platform is flexible and adaptable to changing client needs and market conditions. Located in Boston, the Business Strategist will report to the Director, Investment Platform Business Management.
The Business Strategist will work alongside with the Investment Research Leadership Team (IRLT) to develop and carry out the strategic vision for the group, which is ensuring Wellington has a world-class global research platform conducting deep, differentiated research with excellent investment results and the capabilities and products to meet the evolving needs of portfolio managers and clients now and in the future. The successful candidate will work directly with investors and with senior business leaders to ensure that our investors are able to deliver best-in-class research and deliver on our clients' performance objectives. In addition, the Business Strategist will be responsible for working on an increasing number of cross-functional projects that impact our investors and investment platform, for building the infrastructure and ecosystem to allow our investors and line managers to have the right information at the right time, and for carrying out many of the behind the scenes responsibilities that ensure the smooth daily operation of our platform. ESSENTIAL SKILLS
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Strategic vision - The Business Strategist will be a strategic business leader and project manager, serving as a change agent, rallying support for large-scale initiatives, and thinking creatively about new ways to amplify the success of our investment professionals. The ideal candidate will partner with the Investment Research Leadership Team to develop and execute the department's strategic plan and various department- and platform-wide initiatives.
- Analytical approach to problem solving - As a member of the IRLT, the Business Strategist will serve an important role in providing the tools and framework needed to assess investment skill. The ability to creatively develop new ways to analyze and understand the drivers of investment performance is required. The ideal candidate will exhibit strong attention to detail with an ability to quickly spot and diagnosis errors in work done by others in evaluating the skill and impact of our investors through data and analytics.
- Superior collaboration and influencing skills - The successful candidate will enjoy contributing to a highly collaborative environment. The Business Strategist will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues across not only the investment platform, but also business partners in IT, Product Management, Human Resources, Finance and Portfolio Services. The ability to provide a point of view and challenge the status quo is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; s/he must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to clearly communicate (both verbally and in writing), integrate numerous viewpoints, and mobilize/influence across all levels of the organization is critical.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as a business strategist. The ideal candidate will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the evolution of investment research within the broader asset management industry.
Areas of responsibility will include but are not limited to:
- Leverage a deep understanding of the investment process in order to marshal the right resources to allow our investors to exceed the performance expectations of our clients most efficiently and effectively;
- Provide tactical support to the Investment Research team, including project management support, analysis of new business opportunities, and managing certain processes and regular meetings;
- Play a leadership role in the continued globalization of our investment platform, specifically with respect to systems, collaboration and reporting;
- Create, improve, and organize meaningful and timely management reporting to provide insight into the key drivers of our business success;
- Proactively improve processes and data flow across the investment platform; and
- Assist with the year-end performance evaluation and peer review process.
Additional qualifications and characteristics include:
- 10+ years of relevant professional and leadership experience, ideally in a line or business management role working with investment research professionals and line management;
- Credibility to engage productively with senior investors and leaders, including ability to constructively challenge status quo and solve problems;
- A strong understanding of the global capital markets and a keen interest in understanding the investment research process;
- Ability to navigate stressful situations with poise; focused on being a calming presence, active listener and pragmatic problem solver;
- Superior organizational skills with a results orientation. The ability to manage, prioritize and complete multiple projects simultaneously is necessary;
- Excellent business writing and Excel skills are required; and
- Strong academic credentials; MBA and/or CFA (or equivalent) is preferred.
Business Strategist, Investment Research LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to r ace, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic
protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .