Team Lead, Database Operations - Charles River - Vice President
Who we are looking for
Charles River Development, a State Street Company, is offering the opportunity for a talented, hands-on, database administrator to lead its Database Operations team. The database team is responsible for the design, administration, and daily operation of critical systems that support our clients' Production, Disaster Recovery, and Test environments. The Team Lead will be responsible for supervising and managing team members on a daily basis and ensuring team members are performing at their best. The successful candidate will be operationally minded, be adept at managing multiple projects, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. What you will be responsible for
As a Database Operations Team Lead you will:
What we value
- Provide leadership to a team of 5+ database administrators enabling them to deliver expert-level service to our large global clients and internal stakeholders.
- Define the technical standards and operational procedures to meet database performance, availability, scalability, and security requirements in both hosted and cloud environments.
- Assist in resolving priority incidents to quickly eliminate impacts, participate in root-cause analysis, and support subsequent corrective and preventative actions.
- Collaborate with Operations and Engineering teams to optimize database performance and reliability
- Promote and advance the use of automation to improve efficiency.
- Manage support relationships with key vendors, including cloud providers and database tool software providers.
- Maintain expert level awareness on evolving database technology, operational techniques, and best practices.
- Define milestones, assign tasks, and track the progress of multiple projects.
- Have a deep appreciation of why Security is important to our company and our customers.
- Establish, maintain, and adhere to CRD technical standards, policies, and procedures.
These skills will help you succeed in this role:
- Be a strong technical leader who can influence the evolving architecture and standards of our Cloud and Hosted infrastructure.
- A high degree of technical aptitude including expert-level database trouble-shooting skills, such as query design and analysis, indexing, and performance tuning.
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Aptitude for mentorship and assisting team members with skills development.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple significant projects and initiatives.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, MIS/CIS, or closely related field of study.
- 10+ years of MS SQL Server production database administration experience, including Principal Database Administrator supporting large environments (150+ SQL instances).
- 3+ years of financial industry experience or similar field supporting highly-available database systems.
- 5+ years of expert-level performance tuning experience, using all available tools and methods to investigate and make recommendations to improve slow performing queries and procedures at the database and server level.
- 3+ years of experience in a leadership role with 5 or more team members.
- 1+ year experience supporting Charles River IMS products is strongly preferred.
- 1+ year of hands-on experience operating MS SQL servers and related technologies in Azure.
- Industry certifications for Azure, MS SQL Server, or related technologies strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of database encryption, high-availability, disaster recovery, database replication, and SSRS administration.
- Must be detailed oriented, have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be an aggressive self-starter.
- A strong sense of customer service, attention to detail, and issue ownership.
- Understanding of ITIL concepts desired.