Executive Director, Global Electrification Strategies
Automotive solutions from IHS Markit leverage technology and data science to provide unique insights, forecasts, and advisory services spanning every major global market and the entire automotive value chain.
With a legacy dating back to the 1920s when R. L. Polk published the first vehicle registration reports, our solutions are used by nearly every OEM, more than 95% of tier one suppliers, media agencies, governments, insurance companies, and financial stakeholders to provide actionable insights that enable better decisions and better results.
Automakers, suppliers and dealers rely on our 800+ auto experts spanning the globe to understand and take action on global and local opportunities, risk, regulation and the disruptive impact of technology and big data. IHS Markit delivers un-paralleled, data-driven solutions and services spanning the entire value chain, from concept design to sales, marketing and the aftermarket.
Transformation in the Automotive Industry
The global automotive industry is facing structural disruption across the breadth of the value chain and customer touchpoints, including components and technology, supply chains, powertrain and propulsion, connectivity and data, retail formats, and consumer behavior. New mobility and ownership models add further layers of complexity. Stakeholders across the value chain from OESs, OEMs, dealerships, to governments, are trying to navigate this emerging landscape.
At the center of this lies possibly the biggest transformation the industry has experienced since mass production of internal combustion engines - the transition to electrification. Driven by legislation and policy designed to decarbonize transportation, established OESs and OEMs have to pivot towards this new agenda and develop new capabilities amongst exponential growth in battery technology and value chains and charging infrastructure. Established players and new entrants are locked in intense competition to develop the most profitable and sustainable business model.
Above all, the landscape is globally fragmented - the pace of EV adoption and industry transformation varies by markets, regions, and countries. Position Summary
IHS Markit Automotive is aiming to take a lead role in providing electrification transition solutions to the leading EV stakeholders. From EV sales and production forecasts, compliance modelling, technical trends, to Advisory for retail solutions, and new vehicle launch strategies, IHS Markit will be able to identify and target new EV customers. With the highest quality data sets and insights drawn from the broadest and most detailed research and analysis, IHS Markit is best placed to provide EV solutions and advice.
The Executive Director, Global Electrification Strategies is proficient in understanding the drivers of change in the automotive industry, joining up the dots to describe the big picture, and appreciates the nuances across the globe. They will possess working knowledge of all the related key technical, legislative, supply chain, product, and retail topics, and will be dedicated to the pursuit of thought-leadership in global electrification. They will report into the VP, Automotive Strategy and Industry Insights who sits on the Global Automotive Leadership Team.
The successful candidate will have developed considerable expertise in key automotive Electrification topics, an esteemed reputation and network, and be able to leverage a global perspective - possibly through roles at an OEM, OES, Research Institute, Consultancy, or Government Agency. Primary Responsibilities
Education & Experience
- Be the lead expert and point of contact for all matters relating to Electrification within the Automotive division
- Be the key interface with the Energy and Chemicals teams on all matters relating to Electrification (battery technology, supply chain, etc)
- Help to build out IHS Markit's portfolio of electrification products and solutions in a clear and compelling manner, ensuring internal alignment and considering market needs
- Help drive business growth and IHS Markit Automotive as a thought leader in Electrification in EV-related topics across product teams and Advisory
- Work with relevant business lines to optimize existing products and services and identify new offerings
- Lead Voice of Customer (VoC) feedback on Electrification from the sales team, key customers, and key accounts
- Support Sales, Advisory, and Product business lines on all client-facing Electrification-related business, such as new pitches, renewals, and account reviews
- Brief and lead related research topics, and whitepaper reports, as required
- Build an internal network and collaborate with colleagues across the business lines, as required
- Lead and develop related training, as required
- Remain well-informed and up-to-date on market, technical, and legislative developments through engaging with the latest insight and remaining connected with own international network
- Develop new contacts across OEMs, OESs, government and research agencies to remain informed on market and competitor trends and activities
- Qualifications: Bachelor's degree minimum (Master's or Doctorate preferred) in a related business or technical field, for example, Business Strategy, Management, Marketing, Engineering, or other
- At least 10-15 years of industry experience
- Advanced working knowledge of all related aspects of the transition to electrification, including key technical, legislative, supply chain, product, and retail topics
- Experience within an OEM, OES, research or government agency, possibly in a Head of EV role, Head of Transformation role, or leadership role related to product, business, or mobility strategy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, when interacting with colleagues and clients across all senior levels
- Able to build and deliver clear and compelling presentations, to different audiences including senior and Board-level colleagues and client groups
- Able to write concise and articulate reports, founded on thorough research and analytical skills
- Collaborative and influential team player, with an ability to develop effective working relationships
- Well-connected with a strong global network across the related stakeholders
- Strategic mindset, with an exceptional ability to identify opportunities and problems, and formulate appropriate solutions, and lead their implementation
- Highly organized with attention-to-detail and an ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and activities as necessary
- Remains agile and willing to adapt in the face of change and ambiguity, and comfortable and effective working within a complex, global, matrix organizational structure. Must be able to carry out responsibilities not only in person, but also in a virtual work environment
- Preferred location of the role is in the United States. However, IHS Markit is willing to consider other locations if required to recruit the best candidate and considering reasonable time zone differences
- The position will report into the VP, Automotive Strategy and Industry Insights based in London, who sits on the Global Automotive Leadership Team
- The post holder will have global responsibility and support each region and business line as required. They will need to recognize and take into account the business importance to IHS Markit of the US and Europe, but also China's strategic leadership in the automotive industry and the potential business growth opportunities for IHS Markit as a result. For example:
- US: the importance of the US for IHS Markit Automotive's revenue-generation, and the role of California and its policies in accelerating the country's transition to electrification
- China: China is the world's largest EV market and is uniquely characterized by the number of EV automakers, public-private partnerships, and leads technical innovation, and new retail and customer models
- Europe: Europe's transition to electrification and battery value chains are strengthening, as major EU-based players and customers are embracing the transformation, driven by regional legislation and strategic priorities
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, because we are a United States (US) federal contractor, we are requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have been approved for an accommodation due to a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief. The company also participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the US.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.