Cloud Solution Engineer
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, we're fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, we're better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. We're se eking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on. How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
The Cloud Infrastructure Solution Engineer is responsible for articulating the technical standards and solutions for all technologies within BHF's managed Azure, AWS and Open Shift regions. They help convey and execute the technical strategy and vision set forth by IT leadership. They are ultimately accountable for overall technical design and operations of cloud infrastructure and platforms including establishing their associated Non-Functional Requirements such as; availability, recoverability, performance, capacity management and risk/vulnerability management. They partner closely with managed service providers, enterprise architecture, IT security, audit/risk and delivery teams to continuously improve BHF's managed cloud infrastructure and platforms. From time to time, they may be asked to participate with level 2/3 incident support of managed cloud infrastructure solutions, technologies and/or platforms. Role Value Proposition:
The Cloud Infrastructure Solution Engineer will be part of BHF's Infrastructure and Operations team accountable for ensuring the design, build, release and stability of all solutions within BHF's managed Azure, AWS and OpenShift environments including, but not limited to; server operating environments, cloud infrastructure telemetry, Azure AD management, virtual infrastructure (compute, memory, storage and network), cloud security, cloud platform management (OpenShift/Cloud Foundry), file servers, database servers and CI/CD tooling. This role will ensure all technical solutions are fully integrated with IT Service Management, operations and information security by owning and establishing CI/CD pipelines for application and/or infrastructure code development. This role will be responsible for partnering with enterprise architecture, vendors and managed providers to develop a 3-5 year cloud infrastructure technical roadmap.
The Cloud Infrastructure Solution Engineer will be part of dynamic and matrixed team of technology professionals that will be instrumental in maturing BHF's next generation of infrastructure services. The individual in this role will work as the primary cloud infrastructure engineer to support BHF's managed cloud providers by helping effectively prioritize, plan, implement, monitor and continuously improve all cloud infrastructure related technologies and solutions across the enterprise. She/he will be responsible for validating solution designs, engineering standards, non-functional requirements and ensure that all solutions follow BHF's SDLC delivery process. This role will also play a key part in supporting incident and problem management by providing L2/L3 support and direction as needed for managed cloud infrastructure related incidents. Key Responsibilities:
The Cloud Infrastructure Solution Engineer is accountable for the technical oversight of BHF's managed cloud infrastructure including any associated technologies and solutions. The Cloud Infrastructure Solution Engineer will help prioritize, plan, implement, monitor and continuously improve all solutions in accordance with the organization's technical strategy, architectural designs, industry best practices, regulatory and/or compliance requirements. As the needs of BHF change, the Cloud Infrastructure Solution Engineer will be responsible for identifying and recommending enhancements as well as leading projects within the Cloud Infrastructure solution area.
This role will also contribute to the infrastructure and operations strategy and will be a key role in providing reliable, secure and highly resilient cloud infrastructure aimed at improving the performance and user experience of our enterprise workforce. They are accountable for overseeing managed cloud infrastructure which includes; configuration management, CI/CD management, recovery plans, technical requirements and interfacing directly with IT solution owners, support partners, architecture and managed service providers to provide technical direction and communications.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Sets technical standards and direction for cloud infrastructure technologies and solutions hosted within BHF's managed Azure, AWS and OpenShift regions including, but not limited to; Cloud brokering and templating technologies for Azure/AWS, Windows & Linux server operating systems, Azure Active Directory, Azure file servers, Azure SQL servers, Red Hat OpenShift node management/clustering, Cloud Foundry, Jenkins, Git, GitHub, Artifactory and Azure DevOps
- Develops CI/CD pipelines and ensures that all application and/or infrastructure code development is integrated with BHF's SDLC to properly govern quality assurance, security and ITSM approvals have been fulfilled prior to releasing into production
- Creates and owns engineering and design artifacts depicting cloud infrastructure technical standards, e.g., low level designs, documentation, template and/or code management
- Participates in IT project work, accountable for engineering design activities within the SDLC where BHF managed cloud infrastructure solutions and/or technologies are required
- Oversees technical solutions delivered and managed by strategic partners to validate their use of best practices and alignment to BHF's managed cloud infrastructure technical standards
- Provides level 2/3 technical support for BHF managed cloud infrastructure related incidents
- Partners closely with enterprise architecture to establish a 3-5 year cloud infrastructure roadmap and regularly participates in architecture review board meetings
- Ensures that all BHF managed cloud infrastructure technologies and solutions are properly integrated with IT Service Management processes such as, but not limited to; incident, problem, change, availability, configuration, capacity and service level management
- Reviews operational health reports and recommends new projects aimed at improving the health or quality of BHF managed cloud infrastructure
- Reviews Statements of Work and requirements for technical completeness and accuracy
- Provides first level of approval for technical changes related to BHF's managed cloud infrastructure
- Establishes performance baselines for BHF managed cloud infrastructure and validates proper monitoring and telemetry is in place to proactively detect and resolve problems
- Works to identify and close out risks and/or vulnerabilities related to BHF's managed cloud infrastructure in a timely manner
- Promotes automation and programmatic orchestration wherever possible to achieve "Best in Cost" delivery and support model
- Works with enterprise architecture, information security and infrastructure delivery to define BHF cloud infrastructure solution patterns to aid in onboarding of managed SaaS providers in a secure, resilient and consistent manner
- Partners with managed providers to hep troubleshoot and/or aid in the resolution of L2/L3 incidents involving BHF's managed cloud infrastructure
- Develops and provides technical training for other team members and 3 rd party providers to improve awareness and education of BHF's managed cloud infrastructure, pipelines and/or solutions
- Attends cloud and DevOps related user groups, webinars and technical conferences representing Brighthouse Financial to share and gain insights from other companies and peers across various industries
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of related experience as a cloud or data center engineer
- Deep knowledge of Windows and Linux server operating systems
- Strong background in infrastructure virtualization technologies such as; Virtual Machines, Containers, etc.
- Working knowledge and experience with CI/CD technologies such as; Git, Subversion, Artifactory, GitHub, Selenium, etc. and the ability to create/manage pipelines using Jenkins, Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation or Azure DevOps
- Experience in the design, build and deployment of cloud infrastructure across an enterprise
- Existing knowledge and experience translating and managing infrastructure configurations as code via JSON, Puppet or Chef
- Working knowledge of Azure/AWS portals, solutions and services
- Ability to create and manage Azure or AWS templates
- Demonstratable experience documenting, designing and maintaining technical artifacts
- Experience working within project management lifecycles and methodologies, e.g., SDLC, Agile, Lean
- Excellent communication skills with ability to easily navigate across functional teams and providers
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, guidelines, and frameworks within the financial services industry such as; NY-DFS, FFIEC, NIST, COBIT, ISO27001, etc.
- Enjoys working in a growth oriented, entrepreneurial, high-energy environment
- Ability to effectively execute concurrent activities and maintain focus on key details during times of crisis and heightened pressure
- Relevant certification(s) preferred - Azure, AWS, VMware, Microsoft, Red Hat, CompTIA, etc.
Less than 5% Number of Openings: