Software Engineering Manager
Client Experience Software Engineering Manager Charlotte, NC/en-US/vanguard_external/job/Charlotte-NC/Client-Experience-Software-Engineering-Manager_129764/apply
Create the products that are changing an industry
We never stop working to make investing simpler and more successful for our clients.
Job Description Summary
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to drive the Full Stack Development practice within the Client Experience pillar. What does this entail? Your main task is to make sure your team members are happy. It is your responsibility to help your team members with their development, both hard skills as well as soft ones. Help them exploit their strengths and handle their weaknesses. Ensuring they are properly equipped to perform the job the best they can.
But wait, theres more, expertise is paramount. This is not a generic people management job, youre expected, over time, to become an expert in Full Stack Engineering, and be able to translate industry developments, along with your peers, into strategy that your Full Stack Engineers will leverage on their Journey Teams. Further, youll be expected, on a regular basis, to pull stories from a Journey Teams backlog and implement them, in order to keep your technical skills sharp. And if thats not enough, youll need to balance your technical strategies against the Journey Teams number one priority, which is delivering value.
In this role you will
- Manages staff. Develops, mentors and provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary. Conducts regular one on one, skips and staff meetings as appropriate. Hires, evaluates and counsels crew. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Develops strong and authentic relationships with peers, clients and key stakeholders that empower them to lead long-term collaborations and deliver successful business outcomes.
- Acts as a technology advisor and champion in identifying, evaluating and recommending appropriate strategies and technologies for building products and delivering services.
- Elevates IT into a strategic partner by demonstrating acumen and passion for business and technology; proactively recommending innovative solutions to achieve business goals.
- Understands recommended practices & trends used at Vanguard. Translates industry recommended practices & trends within their discipline into strategy. Advocates and advances modern software development and organizational practices. Proliferates learnings across the teams. Grows the technical expertise of their team.
- Continuously pursues expert-level technical acumen within their discipline: establishes working relationships with strategic and boutique technology providers; exploits knowledge capital available through subscription research services; leverages the Internet as a critical resource for related knowledge capital, inclusive of blogs, podcasts, webinar, etc.; attends conferences and engages in associated activities (e.g., conducting presentations, leading workshops, etc); consumes and contributes content from and to Open Source communities.
- Is clearly recognized as an outstanding thought leader in their discipline area.
- Adopts new concepts and evolving contemporary software development practices and monitors implementation activity to ensure latest architecture and design principles are upheld by team.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies. Evaluates alternatives for modifications to systems/frameworks and recommends and/or make decisions on solutions that meet long-term business objectives and current organizational requirements.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer
- 3+ years of experience in people/project management
- Bachelors degree in a related technical discipline
- Experience with Object Oriented Development and languages
- Experience across all phases of the SDLC and Agile software development practices
- Experience leading a high-functioning, highly agile team of engineers that delivers scalable and responsive web-based cloud solutions.
- Proven experience delivering projects from start to finish.
- Effectively liaises across departments to accomplish tasks and projects.
- Ability to understand complex distributed systems.
- Ability to work independently, lead own time, priorities, and resources to achieve goals.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Innate desire to learn and grow, and ability to coach engineers to do the same through feedback, instruction, and encouragement.
We are Vanguard. Together, were changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesnt just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose and thats how weve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Lets make it count.
Vanguards continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: Do the right thing.
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguards core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Posted 3 Days AgoFull time129764
Vanguard, one of the world's largest investment management companies, serves individual investors, institutions, employer-sponsored retirement plans, and financial professionals. We have a diverse and talented crew with a culture that promotes teamwork, along with an unwavering focus on serving our clients' best interests.
This website uses "cookies" to distinguish you from other users. A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers placed on your computer or device. This helps us to provide you with a good experience when you browse our website and also allows us to improve our site and services. The cookies are stored locally on your computer or mobile device. To accept cookies you can continue browsing as normal. Or you can go to our to read more information and learn how to change your preferences.