Data Protection Engineer # 102564
A Data Protection Engineer will be passionate about data protection technologies and their integration into the Credit Suisse environment. The role involves project related work in an engineering environment. This is not an operational function.
- Testing and certification of NetBackup software functionality, new features and firmware or associated software releases;
- Integrating OST disk targets into backup and recovery solutions;
- Developing cost effective and efficient long term retention strategies;
- Building backup solutions for Credit Suisse specific applications and infrastructure, including Oracle, Sybase, MS-SQL, SharePoint and VMware virtual infrastructure;
- Specifying data protection architectures (e.g. server specifications, solution scale, network requirements);
- Crafting data protection solutions for very large data sets and large applications with small backup windows;
- Developing and documenting global standards;
- Maintaining documentation as technology and solutions change;
- Collaborating with vendors to understand new technologies and develop specific solutions for Credit Suisse;
- Automating manual processes;
- Providing third level (SME) support for complex operational issues;
- Evangelizing engineered solutions to key partners;
Credit Suisse maintains a Working Flexibility Policy, subject to the terms as set forth in the Credit Suisse United States Employment Handbook.
Desired experience and skills:
- You have expertise with the latest versions of NetBackup software, including NBU 7.7.x;
- You have deep understanding of virtual infrastructure, specifically VMware components;
- You have experience protecting database environments, including Oracle, Sybase and MS-SQL;
- You have experience with different target media including OST devices and tape libraries;
- You have experience with encryption solutions and encryption key management;
- You have excellent communication and documentation skills;
- You have experience with Linux and or Windows system administration;
- You have deep understanding of hardware required to support backup infrastructure;
- Scripting skills in PERL or a similar language;
- You have the ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- You have the ability to understand impact of individual solutions / components on the larger end-to-end environment;
- Ability to diagram complex systems using industry standard tools such as Visio.
- You hold 5+ years of experience in the technology industry;
- You have BS in computer science, engineering or related field desired;
- You have spoken and written English language proficiency;
- You are a self-starter attitude accompanying a strong work ethic.