Specialist (VP), Control
For over 235 years, Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon) has been at the center of the global financial markets, providing the world's leading institutions the tools, capabilities, and services to be distinctive investors. BNY Mellon has approximately $16.5 billion in revenues and a 23% return on tangible common equity. BNY Mellon is a leader in the world of investment services and investment management, and our businesses support the full range of stakeholders of the financial system.
BNY Mellon's Pershing and its affiliates provide global financial business solutions to advisors, broker-dealers, family offices, hedge fund and 40 Act fund managers, registered investment advisor firms and wealth managers. Pershing helps clients improve profitability and drive growth, create capacity and efficiency, attract and retain talent, and manage risk and regulation. With a network of 23 offices worldwide, Pershing provides business-to-business solutions to clients representing more than 6 million investor accounts globally.
The VP, Control role reports to the Chief Administrative Office within the Pershing line of business. This group is a broad mix of disciplines dedicated to business control oversight, administration and planning, enterprise project support, and executive planning. The team has exposure to all Pershing entities and strong connectivity across the broader enterprise.
This role is crucial to helping Pershing business leaders identify, mitigating, and report risk and controls. In some cases, the candidate will execute testing of controls. The candidate will be keenly involved in Operational Risk Event reporting and analysis, Key Risk Indicators, High Level Risk Analysis, and Risk and Control Self-Assessment support, in addition to enterprise projects related to risk and control.
- Identifies, analyzes, monitors and minimizes most complex areas of control testing, control and risk education, and operational and risk support activities to the business and manages projects to adjust or create controls required to meet regulatory and corporate expectations.
- Leads projects/analyses and may assign work to other team members.
- Leads the control and risk management testing and reporting including Error / Near Miss analyses.
- Operating with a high degree of independence, conducts analyses and leads projects to improve internal controls that keep up with regulations and corporate standards.
- Ensures that existing control and business recovery practices and procedures are documented.
- Works with the business to understand the controls currently in place to minimize risk.
- May help design and deliver risk management training programs to ensure that proper control procedures are understood and followed.
- Reviews documentation for evidence of successful and efficient performance of control and business recovery procedures.
- Identifies deficiencies in data systems and creates processes to improve defenses.
- Assists in analyzing technology and market trends to determine potential resulting risks to the organization and how to address risks across businesses.
- Contributes to the achievement of area objectives.
- Supports multiple, complex projects and owns project timelines.
- Provides input into the development of controls and protocols for the function.
- Ability to work independently and manage through ambiguity in policy or information
- Efficiency in Excel to manage and review data from the Risk Management Platform
- Excellent business communications, both oral and written
- Comfort/desire to interact with senior leaders and subject matter experts across the Pershing business
- Risk Management, Audit, System and Organization Controls Report (SOC1), Sarbanes Oxley (SOX), or other controls related experience helpful
- Knowledge of broker dealer operations or technology a plus
Bachelors degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience required. Advanced degree preferred 5-7 years of total work experience preferred. Experience in the securities or financial services industry is preferred. BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums. Primary Location:
United States-New Jersey-Jersey City Internal Jobcode:
Pershing Domestic-HR06431 Requisition Number: