Technical Team Leader, Non-Securitized Data
Bloomberg runs on data, and as the Global Data team we're responsible for acquiring it, adding value and providing that value to our clients. We collect, analyze, process and publish the data which is the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal. We identify innovative workflow efficiencies and we implement technology solutions to enhance our systems, products and processes. The Team:
The Commodity and BNEF data products are looking for a Team Leader to manage a newly formed Non-Securitized Data Onboarding team. This group of high-performing data analysts leverages our technology stack to build automated data pipelines for our products. They are responsible for managing existing non-securitized data pipelines, as well as onboarding additional content to support future product development. To do so the team owns the pipelining process from end to end, including modelling the data in relational or NoSQL database schemas. As power users of our technology stack, the team collaborates closely with Engineering to enhance our tools to improve time-to-market and user experience.
As the Team Leader, you will be responsible for ensuring delivery of data pipelines, mentoring the analysts doing implementation, and providing governance through code review. You are required to be a hands-on leader that can effectively manage, motivate, and develop the team. You will lead by example in understanding the data sets, the processes, and the broader environment in which the team operates, which are critical to guide the team effectively. You will create business and career development opportunities for both the team and the team members. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Hire, coach, develop and retain your team members to create a high-performing team
- Work with individual team members to create opportunities for them to advance in their careers within Bloomberg
- Guide, support, and drive data analysts to autonomously operate with available technologies
- Provide support and code reviews for team members
- Utilize subject-matter-expertise to create, document, and execute processes and standards, in consultation with leadership, to ensure appropriate methodologies for data management
- Manage and analyze internal processes to identify opportunities for improvement, as well as devise and implement new innovative workflow solutions to improve the time-to-market and quality of your data sets
- Collaborate extensively with internal stakeholders (primarily Core Product, Engineering, and News)
- Perform quality control to ensure data accuracy, utilizing statistical methods where applicable to ensure quality control of our products
- Maintain strong relationships with engineering teams and maintain awareness of technological developments within the department, company, and industry to drive innovations and align developments
- Perform incident management, from troubleshooting and root cause analysis to overall problem management
We'd love to see:
- A bachelor's degree, preferably including studies in Information Systems or a related field
- Strong technical competence in Python or another programming language
- Demonstrated domain expertise in one or more data products
- Proven ability to use technology to develop innovative data products and processes
- Track record of driving strategies, managing complex projects, and leadership ability in change management or influencing others
- Expert-level knowledge of data processing paradigms and associated tools and technologies
- Demonstrated leadership, training, and mentoring abilities, either through prior formal or informal experience
- Ability to work under pressure and in a frequently changing environment
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Strong attention to detail and high degree of demonstrated decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Eagerness to learn and collaborate with others
Does this sound like you?
- A master's degree, preferably in Information Systems or a related field
- Experience deploying and maintaining production workflows (e.g., ETL, predictive models)
- Varied project management experience and/or certifications (CAPM, PMP and/or CSM)
- Presence in virtual development communities such as GitHub, Stack Overflow and HackerRank
- Experience using data visualization tools such as Tableau or QlikSense
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.