Alternative Investments Associate - Wealth Management Operations
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Operations is one of the largest divisions in the firm and has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, the Operations department continually seeks ways to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
Global Wealth Management Operations provides brokerage, investment and financial services to hundreds of thousands of individual investors. We apply our expertise in serving institutional clients to create new opportunities for people to achieve their personal financial goals. Morgan Stanley has one of the largest retail brokerage networks, with numerous worldwide representatives and retail locations. Our services are tailored to each client's investment objectives, risk tolerance, and financial needs. Products include mutual funds, stocks, bonds, and alternative investments where appropriate, as well as banking, mortgages, insurance and annuities.
Alternative Investment (AI) Operations supports the operational processing for ensuring clients who look to invest in the funds offered by MSSB Alternative Investments Group are able to do so in accordance with the terms and time frames set forth by the fund. Similarly, the AI Operations group supports ensuring clients who look to redeem out of or transfer their AI position do so in accordance with the funds cutoff. The products offered are Hedge Funds, Funds of Funds, Exchange Funds, Private Equity, Real-estate Funds as well as Custom Portfolio of funds.
The Reg D team, within the AI Operations group, utilizes the Firm's Reg D system to process any Reg D requests submitted by Financial Advisors / Private Wealth Advisors (FAs/PWAs). Under federal securities law, any offer or sale of a security must either be registered with the SEC or meet an exemption. Regulation D (Reg D) is the SEC regulation that implements these exemptions from the law. The Reg D system is used to pre-qualify prospective investors and allow FAs/PWAs to disclose any information about or offer to sell a specific Private Fund. The Reg D team plays a critical role in ensuring compliant and lawful offerings of these exempt securities.
Reg D specific responsibilities:
- reviewing and approving investor requests that come in from the field and determine if the investor or entity is eligible to participate in an Alternative Investment Offering
- monitor Reg D queue and call hotline and process Reg D queue items in a timely fashion and according to regulatory guidelines
- coordinate with field and internal teams to source information needed to process Reg D's
- process any exceptions accordingly that come from upper management and/or the fund
- represent Reg D team on fund launch calls as well as other internal meetings
- stay abreast of any relevant regulation changes and incorporate into daily processing
- Maintain relationships with Fund Managers and Business Partners
- Provide premier operational services to Financial Advisors
- Ability to multi-task between high volume of Financial Advisors requests/calls and other tasks/projects
- Ad hoc projects and reports required by management Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree highly preferred
- Alternative Investments knowledge a plus
- 3-4 years of experience in the financial services industry
- Proficient in the Microsoft suite of products (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-up
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and changing environment