Commercial Bank – Risk –Credit Risk- Middle Market, Vice President
JP Morgan Chase
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at http://www.jpmorganchase.com/ . Our Firmwide Risk Function
Our Firmwide Risk function is focused on cultivating a stronger, unified culture that embraces a sense of personal accountability for developing the highest corporate standards in governance and controls across the firm. Business priorities are built around the need to strengthen and guard the firm from the many risks we face, financial rigor, risk discipline, fostering a transparent culture and doing the right thing in every situation. We are equally focused on nurturing talent, respecting the diverse experiences that our team of Risk professionals bring and embracing an inclusive environment.
The Chase Middle Market Banking Group is part of JP Morgan Chase's Commercial Bank and focuses on companies with annual sales of $20 million up to $500 million. Chase's Middle Market Banking footprint covers 23,000 + clients with over 600 bankers in 26 states across the United States. Chase Middle Market Banking is the 3rd largest traditional Middle Market lender in the country. The Position:
As a Sr. Underwriter in Middle Market, your primary role is to take ownership of your portfolio and to utilize excellent credit skills to work independently on the portfolio of relationships assigned to you. You will appropriately assess the risk in your portfolio, diligently managing the portfolio (i.e. renewals, modifications, managing the credit metrics), and meeting customer deadlines. You will be a partner to the Bankers in the Market, striving to balance sales and credit quality goals. You will be looked to as an expert on structuring and Credit Policy and will be the go to person for the Bankers. You will be looked upon as a leader both within and outside of Underwriting; you will provide depth to the local credit leadership team and serve as a mentor to less experienced underwriters and bankers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Taking ownership of your portfolio, acting with a sense of urgency, doing whatever it takes to effectively get the job done.
- Structuring transactions by being open minded and creative and thinking from the standpoint of "how can we do this deal" while balancing the risk/reward rather than concluding immediately that the deal cannot be done. Additionally, you will provide ideas/suggestions on how to market our structure to the customer.
- Utilizing excellent credit skills to author well thought out and concise analysis of Middle Market relationships using appropriate structure and identifying key risks.
- Work in partnership with the Bankers to develop fulsome Client relationships including being looked to as the go to person when the banker is out.
- Working proactively, in a constructive, diplomatic manner, with both internal and external contacts to keep transactions moving.
- Effective leader in complex transactions including syndications and multi-level capital structures.
- Having the ability to quickly and accurately evaluate smaller relationships to determine if the risk profile is acceptable and recommend simple structures that adequately protect the bank while not over engineering the transaction.
- Providing leadership in the market by being a positive contributor to the team including: being a mentor to less experienced team members and embracing change.
- Demonstrating excellent communication skills both internally and externally and using those communication skills to effectively solve problems.
- The ability and courage to voice your opinion in a clear, concise manner and to defend that position with Management.
- BA/BBA/MBA and completion of a major corporate or commercial bank credit training program (or the equivalent corporate banking/corporate finance experience)
- 8 years' experience in commercial banking/lending which might include credit, structuring and marketing experience
- Significant accounting and finance knowledge and commercial banking experience
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written skills, interpersonal skills, and analytical and problem solving skills