Director, Private Funds Attorney
Description About this role Legal and Compliance
BlackRock's Legal and Compliance (L&C) department works with business teams to develop investment management products and business solutions that comply with the numerous legal and regulatory requirements to which BlackRock and its products are subject. Legal and Compliance is responsible for, among other things, negotiating agreements with investors, intermediaries and service providers; providing ongoing legal advice to business regarding new and existing products and strategies; overseeing regulatory matters; coordinating litigation and legal proceedings; establishing legal and compliance policies and procedures that meet applicable regulatory requirements and testing the operative effectiveness of those policies and procedures and conducting training. Role Description
We are searching for a seasoned attorney specializing in fund formation to support various BlackRock alternatives businesses, which may include liquid strategies such as hedge funds, illiquid strategies such as private credit and private equity, as wells as funds of funds solutions. Ideally, our candidate is a private funds attorney who will be involved in providing legal advice and consultation, focusing on a variety of legal issues relating to alternative investment funds, including fund structuring, marketing and corporate governance. Additionally, the attorney may provide support for the BlackRock Capital Markets business, which coordinates co-investment opportunities for our clients alongside BlackRock's funds and accounts. Primary Responsibilities:
This position is part of the U.S. legal team responsible for coverage of BlackRock's private funds, and will assist with tasks such as:
Skills & Requirements:
- Providing advice on matters related to open-end and closed-end fund structuring across multiple jurisdictions; preparing, reviewing and negotiating fund documentation and offering materials .
- Managing outside counsel's preparation and review of fund documentation and overseeing outside counsel with respect to private funds generally.
- Coordinating and working with business teams, compliance, tax, and operations teams regarding various aspects of private fund formation and operation.
- Providing advice and support to internal stakeholders to develop, establish and improve internal processes.
- Analyzing and managing a variety of regulatory issues affecting the BlackRock private funds platform, including the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Investment Company Act of 1940, Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, Dodd Frank Act, the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD), etc.
- J.D. with outstanding academic credentials from a nationally-recognized law school, and ten or more years' experience as a lawyer in the asset management or fund formation group within a major law firm, the legal department of an investment management firm or the alternative investment division at an investment bank.
- Fund formation experience and familiarity with the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, AIFMD and the other U.S. and non-U.S. laws impacting privately offered funds is preferred.
- Demonstrated initiative and accountability.
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communications skills.
- Comfort with working across different business functions while remaining responsive.
- Desire to work creatively in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to balance multiple time-sensitive matters.
- Ability to coordinate complex projects involving different business and support groups and to assist the business in implementing solutions across the broad range of BlackRock products and services.
- Outstanding relationship-building skills and a consistent track record of working well as a member of a team. You should approach problems in a business-minded and practical manner and be able to communicate sophisticated concepts in an understandable way, to junior and senior colleagues across BlackRock's business teams.
- Our team is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, so you will be encouraged to help us continue to build a culture of inclusivity, belonging and trust.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.