Director of Operational Excellence
- New York, NY, États-Unis
- CDI, Plein-temps
- S&P Global
- 09 déc. 18
Director of Operational Excellence
The Role: Director of Operational Excellence, Infrastructure & Operations
The Location: New York
The Team: We are looking for a pro-active and forward thinking Director of Operational Excellence that is well versed in ITSM (IT Service Management) and IT Governance frameworks such as ITIL, COBIT and SOC 2. This is a leadership position within S&P Global Platts focusing on establishing and implementing robust procedures with appropriate controls, measures and evidence for key parts of IT Operations. The role will also include ensuring that we are hyper transparent with our technology & business leadership on any current risks, gaps and remediation actions. This role will deliberately be independent from day to day operational support activities and instead will focus on strategy & governance, SLA management, transparency and continuous improvement.
The Impact: This person will play a pivotal role in our Infrastructure & Operations team as we look to expand from reactive support to proactive strategic support and provide more robust transparency to our stakeholders. These efforts are occurring within the broader context of major strategic initiatives to extend our market leadership, enhance customer experience, and implement next-generation software technology leveraging Agile/DevOps.
What's in it for you: This role represents an exciting and visible opportunity to join our team during a dynamic period of fundamental organizational and operational changes.
- We are looking for a "coach" who can not only help define Operational Excellence best practices but can work hand in hand with operational teams to train, implement, govern and continuously improve these processes. You will partner with Engineering Managers and Product Managers to ensure they understand their role in these making these processes effective and are married with equally robust Engineering Excellence processes.
- Our leadership is looking to add an individual who cultivates deep and highly effective relationships within a dynamic environment spanning many teams and efforts. You're a natural, who inspires trust and respect across a variety of disciplines. You will understand that this role does not exist in isolation and you will need to work collaboratively with peers, operational support teams, information security teams, engineering teams and 3rd party vendors across the globe to succeed.
- You will bring with you, experience with working with business improvement , in particular the assessment and delivery of operational efficiency and productivity opportunities (ideally using Lean, Lean Six Sigma, BPR, Agile or similar tools), as well as the change management that goes with implementation
- For all processes implemented, you will ensure that we have accompanying controls and measures in an Operational Controls Library in place to ensure these processes are effective and auditable and are compliant with company policies & standards, statutory guidelines and regulations. Appropriate evidence will be retained to demonstrate effective controls & measures.
- You will define and implement appropriate KPI's & SLA's and provide weekly and monthly Operational Dashboards for executives providing hyper transparency on risks, gaps and actions to remediate as well as continuous improvement. You will be religious about achieving and maintaining 99.99% uptime, understanding root cause of any downtime and striving to continuously improve availability.
- You will provide robust Capacity Management and cost control of our IT estate to ensure we are leveraging our significant investment in infrastructure to the max, spinning cloud instances up and down in line with business demand. You will ensure that our infrastructure is sized appropriately and continuously reviewed to ensure we can meet the demands of our customers on a rolling 12 month cycle.
- You know that it's not about the tools but agree that tools can help, so you'll leverage our investment in ServiceNow ("SNOW") to monitor and track Incidents, Problem, Change, Requests etc. With your command of ServiceNow and its reporting capabilities, you'll be a wiz at publishing relevant and actionable reporting at both the project team and executive-level
- Own Operational Excellence for S&P Global Platts and be accountable to peers and Technology and Business leadership
- Update the Operational Controls Library to reflect best practices for a SOC2 audit.
- Partner with teams across the business to implement the updated Operational Control and conduct a SOC2 Readiness Assessment .
- Partner with the software engineering groups to ensure we have documented and auditable controls in place as we transition to CI/CD DevOps.
- Be obsessed with our customer's needs (internal and external) and drive them back into operational teams
- Define, implement and govern effective processes around Incident Management , Problem Management, and Knowledge Management to ensure we can quickly restore service following a disruption and proactively prevent them in the future. For all major incidents, robust RCA's will be produced with the primary focus on ensuring what failed is clearly understood and proactive actions have been taken to prevent reoccurrence or to minimize business impact
- Define, implement and govern effective processes around Access Management and Service Requests to ensure we can provide access to those that need it with robust approval and audit trails and appropriate checks and balances to prevent unauthorized access
- Define, implement and govern effective Change Management that empowers Engineering teams to release frequently but safely with robust approvals, change implementation plans, rollback procedures and transparency to stakeholders and impacted systems. You will maintain a forward schedule of change so that we can proactively manage aggregate change related risk around key business or industry events
- Define, implement and govern effective processes around Configuration Management across our Platforms/Applications and Infrastructure that are hosted in our own data centers or in the cloud. You will ensure that we have effective and transparent processes to maintain compliance with corporate security policies and apply security patches to the defined schedule.
- Work closely with Engineering teams to onboard new Platforms/Applications and enhancements to IT Operations alongside robust Runbooks , technical diagrams, monitoring & alerting, training, end to end support, escalations procedures and service level agreements. Processes will ensure that Runbooks are proactively maintained and enhanced in line with releases, lessons learned and incident resolutions
- Work closely with Engineering teams to ensure we have documented and tested IT Disaster Recovery plans in place than meet or exceed the defined RTO (recovery time objective), RPO (recovery point objective) and applicable corporate policies
- Work with tools teams, operational teams to define mechanisms to measure KPI , correlate them into cause/effect relationships, and use them to drive operationally excellent results
- Coordinate Operational Excellence training for employees and other 3rd parties as required
- Coordinate with corporate, cross-divisional and 3rd party vendors who are involved in IT Support and Service Delivery to ensure that end to end support and SLA's are in place
- Ensure we have robust and expedient escalation procedures in place for customers and business partners to escalate to us and for us in turn to escalate to those involved in resolution
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the IT Service Management industry including awareness of new or revised policies, improved processes and frameworks and how these might be leveraged by S&P Global Platts
- Manage and mentor a small global team of SME's who will help define, implement and govern the robust operational processes.
What We're Looking For:
- Extensive experience with ITIL processes such as incident management, problem management, knowledge management and configuration management. Must have experience defining & implementing ITIL processes and providing governance
- Extensive experience with implementing change management, change approval boards, and forward schedule of changes including coordinating patching schedules
- Experience with governing IT service delivery, managing escalations, adhering to SLA's
- Experience with managing 3rd party vendors who are involved in delivering end to end support
- Experience with Business Continuity Management and IT Disaster Recovery
- Experience with creating and maintaining Operational Runbooks for complex platforms/applications
- Experience in Executive Reporting, creating clear, concise and accurate dashboards and reports and managing against aggressive KPI's and SLA's
- Excellent written and verbal communication and exceptional emotional intentions. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Certified in IT Service Management frameworks (ITIL or similar), ideally Practitioner level
- Experience of SOC 2, ISO 27001, COBIT or similar frameworks
- Experience working with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies, and understanding how to influence and customize these SDLC's to ensure Operational Excellence
- Prior experience working for a software company and or financial services company
- Results orientated. Detailed orientated, Driven. Take initiative without being asked.
- Possess strong technical competency, understand platform architectures, points of failure
- Engineers respect you as a credible manager and enjoy working with you
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Computer Sciences or Technology
- Preferably at least 8+ years of IT operations/support experience