Full Time International Tax Consultant, Global Trade Advisory - Summer/Fall 2020 - University of Chicago
Deloitte has a market leading, worldwide network of global trade specialists experienced in global trade strategy, trade automation, export controls, and import/export compliance. Deloitte's GTA practice is composed of attorneys, business and supply chain operations specialists, technology specialists, customs brokers, auditors, and trade management professionals. We operate as part of a global network of global trade professionals who help importers and exporters improve global trade compliance, pursue process efficiencies, and identify new opportunities in their global supply chains.
In an increasingly global business environment with increasingly complex businesses and operating models, our clients need to transform and enhance their global trade organizations and capabilities to not only manage compliance with import and export requirements in various countries around the globe, but also to implement effective operational management of their organization's global trade activities. Our GTA professionals help clients create such an impact to their organizations by combining technology and technical resources to uncover insights and smarter solutions for navigating a maze of import and export rules, managing compliance risks, automating global trade processes, and pursuing duty savings opportunities associated with the production, import, and export of goods around the world. Joining our GTA team could be the right step for starting your career! What you'll do
Our GTA Consultants participate in engagements requiring global trade analysis for a variety of global trading entities and their affiliates. They work with US and multinational companies, understand national and international trade requirements, and work with clients to align their trade function with their business objectives. GTA Consultants will have the opportunity to develop and pursue leading global trade management strategies while using the latest technologies, and will contribute to the following types of projects:
• analyses, assessments, and reviews for import and export compliance and transformations
• business process reviews
• determining and implementing cost savings opportunities, such as First Sale for Export and Foreign Trade Zones
• due diligence relating to customs and trade risks and potential opportunities
• post-merger integrations or spins of global trade functions
• tariff and export classification reviews and tariff engineering
• related party customs valuation analyses and documentation
• preparation for regulatory audits
• assisting clients with gaining membership in various voluntary programs, such as Importer Self-Assessment, and Reconciliation
• trade security program assessments and implementations
• support various global trade managed services
• participate in loan staff arrangements Responsibilities will include:
• Help importers and exporters achieve worldwide global trade compliance and realize efficiencies and advantages in their global supply chain.
• Work with clients to assess and transform their international trade management procedures globally.
• Assist with the planning, assessment, and exploration of automated import and export solutions.
• Provide Customs audit assistance and representation before global customs and trade authorities around the world.
• Be part of a global team that advises US and multinational companies on global import and export strategies and compliance.
o leadership, problem solving, and strong verbal and written communication skills;
o ability to prioritize tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage ambiguity;
o ability to work both independently and as part of a team with professionals at all levels;
o interest in international trade or international business; and
o strong research, writing, communication, and project management skills. Required Qualifications:
• Bachelor's Degree in one or more relevant fields:
o International business
o Political Science/International Studies
o Information Technology / Computer Science
• Strong academic credentials (Minimum GPA of 3.0)
• Relevant work experience (e.g., internships, summer positions, school jobs, research fellowships/positions)
• Demonstrated interest in international trade or international business
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with professionals at all levels
• Demonstrated leadership skills;
• Strong problem solving skills;
• Strong research, writing, communication, and project management skills
• Ability to prioritize tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage ambiguity;
• Ability to travel up to 80% both domestically and internationally Preferred Qualifications (i.e., Valuable, but Not Required):
• Advanced Degree in relevant fields:
o International Trade
o Supply Chain/Transportation/Logistics
o Business Administration
o Law (JD or LLM)
• Familiarity or experience working with teams from diverse backgrounds and in multiple countries
• Familiarity or experience with US and Non-US import regulations
• Familiarity or experience with US and Non-US export control regulations
• Familiarity or experience with Global Trade Management software such as SAP GTS, Oracle GTM, Integration Point, or Amber Road
• Data management and analysis experience
• Strong Microsoft suite skills (Excel, Visio, Access, PowerPoint)
• Foreign language skills
• Study abroad or international travel experience
• Licensed customs broker and/or CUSECO certification How you'll grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center. Benefits
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you. Deloitte's culture
We take pride in our culture and celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness. As a commitment to our people, we offer well-being programs and provide our professional's opportunities for support and flexibility to make daily choices that can help them to be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. This supportive culture helps enable our people to do their best work every day. Learn more about Life at Deloitte. Corporate citizenship
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte's impact on the world. Recruiter tips
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you're applying to. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.
As used in this posting, "Deloitte" means Deloitte Tax LLP, a subsidiary of Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
Deloitte will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance where applicable. See notices of various ban-the-box laws where available. https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/pages/careers/articles/ban-the-box-notices.html
Requisition code: S20UOCTF21JULSJ-GTA