Rotational Analyst - Markets Group (based in NY)
Job Title: Rotational Analyst
Group Markets Group
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: Immediate
The Markets Group at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York is central to the formation and implementation of monetary policy for the Federal Reserve System. The Group consists of multiple business areas that fulfill a range of responsibilities including planning and executing open market operations, monitoring and analyzing financial market developments, and managing foreign customer accounts. Through its analytical and operational areas, the Markets Group:
· Manages the size and composition of the Federal Reserve System's balance sheet consistent with the directives and the authorization of the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC);
· Monitors and analyzes global financial markets to inform the formulation and implementation of monetary and financial stability policy; updates key stakeholders and policymakers within the Federal Reserve System, including regular briefings of the FOMC;
· Executes lender of last resort operations for the Second District and collateral valuation services to the Federal Reserve System;
· Supports debt issuance and debt management on behalf of the U.S. Treasury;
· Provides foreign exchange services to the U.S. Treasury; and
· Provides account services to foreign central banks, international agencies, and U.S. government agencies RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Rotational Analyst (RA) program is a three-year program for entry-level analysts designed to offer a hands-on learning experience through the completion of three, one-year long rotations. On each rotation, RAs will gain exposure to the core operational and analytical activities of the directorate, while gaining a deeper understanding of the directorate’s work and how it contributes to the larger goals of the Markets Group.
During the program, RAs will develop a well-rounded understanding of the Markets Group; hone their analytical skills through on-the-job and formal training; and develop an understanding of the culture of the Markets Group and Federal Reserve System. RAs that demonstrate exceptional performance will have the opportunity to apply for a permanent position in the Markets Group/Bank following the completion of the program.
RAs may experience working on staff units within any of the following directorates: Capital Markets and Institutions, Central Bank and International Account Services, Cross-Market Monitoring and Analysis, Discount Window and Collateral Valuation, International Markets, Money Markets, or Treasury Markets.
· Performs preliminary research and assists in the preparation of data relating to market monitoring or market issues
· Prepares charts, tables, graphs and other supporting documentation to be used in the research and market analysis conducted by the Group
· Supports senior staff with economic and financial data analysis
· Develops, maintains, and refines efficient procedures for the data preparation cycles (daily, weekly & monthly)
· Assists in the execution of the Group’s funds, securities, trading and settlement activities, including the preparation and maintenance of preliminary internal reports, data entry of operations results, discrepancy follow-up and resolution, and testing the implementation of new products
· Assists in development, review and maintenance of procedures designed to increase the efficiency of the Group’s operational activities
REQUIREMENTS: · Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Mathematics, Public Policy or related field
· Academic exposure, interest, and/or experience in economics, financial markets, and monetary policy
· Excellent quantitative analysis skills and familiarity working with large data sets, spreadsheets, databases and MS Office Suite
· Ability to prepare data (e.g. Excel spreadsheets, graphs and charts) for written reports with minimal supervision or editing
· Demonstrated ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously under tight deadlines
· Proven problem solving skills evidenced by the ability to assess business needs and recommend solutions to create efficiencies/ streamline processes
· A cover letter and unofficial transcripts are required as a part of your submission Positions require access to Federal Open Market Committee Data, which is limited to "Protected Individuals" as defined in the U.S. federal immigration law. Protected Individuals include, but are not limited to, U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, U.S. permanent residents who are not yet eligible to apply for naturalization, and U.S. permanent residents who have applied for naturalization within six months of being eligible to do so. The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or any other legally protected status. Why the Fed:
W orking at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York positions you at the center of the financial world with a unique perspective on national and international markets and economies. You'll work in an environment with a diverse group of talented professionals to foster and support the safety, soundness, and vitality of our economic and financial systems. It's a challenge that demands the skills of a financial services professional and the intellectual curiosity of an academic—all combined with a passion for public service, as exemplified by our four core values:
Community - There are two facets to community here at the Bank: how we relate and connect with each other internally through our Resource Networks , and how we serve the Second District through our outreach initiatives
Career – The Bank is committed to leading and developing its people, providing career management and mobility opportunities that allows employees to realize their full potential.
Culture – The Bank’s culture is critical to the success of our mission. We offer a welcoming environment where teamwork is key; everyone’s views are respected. The Bank is committed to supporting work-life balance so employees can pursue a challenging career without giving up their passions outside of work.
Core Mission - Our work matters. We are part of a unique public service organization that plays a vital role in the word’s economic stage. We take pride in our role and the honest, integrity and respect we employ in all our interactions.
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a work environment that respects and fully values the strengths and differences of its people. Working at the New York Fed provides talented professionals the chance to grow their skills at an institution that has served a critical role in the financial system of the United States and the world for over a century. An important component of the Bank’s diversity effort is our partnership with several professional non-profit organizations, including INROADS, JumpStart Advisory Group, NBDC Emerging Leaders, Seizing Every Opportunity, National Black MBA, Out for Undergrad, Prospanica and Reaching Out MBA. Click here to learn more.