The SQL DBA role is responsible for the design, development, implementation, and operational support of our data tier within the Information Technology division.
- Design, develop, monitor, and performance tune database tables, views, indexes, stored procedures, functions, etc.
- Provide up to 24/7 database support for all SQL Servers, including backup and recovery, database maintenance, health and performance monitoring, and troubleshoot database related issues
- Perform SQL server installation and configuration, upgrades, and patching
- Manage SQL server privileges and permissions of all database users
- Perform database rollouts and upgrades across different environments
- Apply data modelling techniques and generate custom ETL scripts using cdc and SSIS. Translate business requirements into ETL designs and mapping specifications.
- ETL of data from various sources, including structured (replicated SQL tables, txt/csv/xls, etc), semi-structured (xml, json), and unstructured (doc, pdf) data into fact/Dimension tables. Design, tune and maintain existing ETL processes.
- Leverage T-SQL and other data querying tools to assist end-users with data analytics
- SQL job setup and scheduling using SQL Agent, Activebatch, or proprietary DW based job system
- Setup and manage database high-availability technologies, such as transactional replication, Always-On availability group, log shipping, with focus on transactional replication and Always-On
- Performance tuning and optimization for T-SQL queries, stored procedures, SSIS packages, SQL Server and database configurations
- Understand, learn, and become proficient at our proprietary data warehouse structure and dataflow, including its data warehouse management (DWM) and reporting (DWR) tools
- Communicate with business users on various data administrative projects and tasks, such as data and system integration into DW, day-to-day master data management, DW reporting enquiries, etc.
- Provide support and guidance to other software developers and team members on SQL tools, techniques, and best practices
- 5+ years of experience in SQL Server database administration and development (SQL Server 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017)
- Strong experience in logical/physical database designs
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and ability to apply them under pressure
- Strong experience in T-SQL development and
- Experience in working with database and application developers
- Hands on experience with SQL Server replication
- Knowledge of Kimball Data Warehousing concepts
- Experience with SSAS, SSIS and CDC (change data capture)
- Experience in working with external data feeds via SFTP/Web Services
- Experience with administering and using SQL monitoring tools, such as Spotlight
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies to existing environment
- Ability to perform work with minimal guidance from the other team members
- Willingness to communicate and work with business users and understand their requirements
- Experience with windows scripting using Powershell
- Experience with RedGate SQL tools (SQL source control, SQL compare, SQL data compare, etc)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Azure cloud-based data technologies
- Prior work experience in financial sector