Senior Java / Hadoop Engineer - Bloomberg High Availability Timeseries Store (BHATS)
Who we are:
The way our clients consume data has changed. Bloomberg's application teams face complex challenges of large-scale data storage, low-latency retrievals, high-volume requests and availability over a distributed environment. We create standardized solutions to these problems by building core services and technology frameworks for enterprise-wide use.
The Bloomberg High Availability Timeseries Store (BHATS) ecosystem is a consumer timeseries/time-related data store supporting storage of multi-temporal data sets and retrievals against multiple-temporal dimensions. This platform serves the needs for date-specific data sets with point-in-time, as-reported use cases and timeframes (anywhere from by-the-minute to hourly to quarterly). As an experienced Java developer, we'll trust you to:
What's in it for you:
- Help us refresh and evolve many facets of our data and analytics infrastructure using existing Bloomberg technologies such as the BAS Java framework, as well as a new Kafka-based infrastructure to support the microservices which comprise business logic processing.
- Influence core BHATS ingestion, retrieval and bulk operations workflows as well as architectural decisions.
- Design and develop systems that meet our latency, volume, storage and scale expectations.
- Integrate with other data sources like the Bloomberg Data Services (BBDS) platform, COMDB2 and application data feeds for ingestion purposes. Integrate with legacy CalcRt/HistRt and their modern versions (CalcrtX) as well as the Bloomberg Query Language (BQL) for retrieval purposes.
Many of Bloomberg's timeseries data workflows will eventually be clients/users of the BHATS ecosystem. This means:
You'll need to have:
- You'll gain exposure to our financial data sets, non-financial data sets as well as client-specific ones and how they're used across our client workflows while ensuring we build high performance, low-latency, and scalable software for these core infrastructure initiatives.
- Much of these applications are being built on top of open source technologies, so there are plenty of avenues to innovate and contribute to the open source community!
We'd love to see:
- 3+ years of experience programming in Java
- Experience enhancing and maintaining high throughout, low-latency systems in a mission-critical, test-driven production environment.
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- 3+ years with distributed message and/or stream-based processing
- 3+ years of experience with NoSQL data stores (preferably HBase or Cassandra)
- Experience with Spark, Kafka, Zookeeper or Storm
Do you want to build systems that impact the whole company? Apply below!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.