Senior User Experience Researcher
- New York, NY, États-Unis New York NY US
- CDI, Plein-temps
- 19 mai 18 2018-05-19
Senior User Experience Researcher
As a Sr. UX Researcher, you will play a crucial role in enhancing our company's flagship software platform - the iconic Bloomberg Terminal. The scale of the Terminal is vast - much like apps in an operating system. The UX team tackles a wide range of challenges, including complex subject matter, and offers endlessly diverse opportunities to explore solutions for varied user types and domains.
The UX Research team answers the driving questions posed by our designers and product teams. We conduct contextual inquiry to develop an understanding of users' needs and workflows. We evaluate early stage concepts to help establish direction and assess the effectiveness of products as they are being adopted. As practice experts, we mentor UX designers in their research efforts and promote the value of UX research through presentations and usability lab tours within our organization and for the larger UX community.
The UX Research team is part of the UX Design, Consistency & Documentation team within the Bloomberg Enterprise Products organization.
What's in it for you
You will work alongside UX practitioners of all stripes -- interaction and visual designers, prototypers, consistency analysts, and documentation specialists. You will play a crucial part in the workings of product teams and have exposure to executive stakeholders. You will be part of a tight-knit group of experienced researchers and will enjoy the variety of working across product teams, including across our desktop and mobile offerings.
You will be supported by our research participant recruiter and our lab manager in Bloomberg's state-of-the-art usability labs in NYC and London.
You will benefit from our global reach, since we conduct research in Europe and Asia.
You will benefit from our commitment to continuous learning, via internal courses, industry conferences, and our weekly UX book club.
What's the role
Sr. UX Researchers are responsible for leading qualitative user research initiatives that inform critical decisions for current and future Bloomberg products. We work closely with cross-product teams to design and execute exploratory field studies with users and subject-matter experts. Additionally, we plan, recruit for, and conduct usability analyses in our state-of-the-art usability lab, in the field, or using remote tools. We draw upon our years of experience conducting user research and knowledge of design principles to conduct various types of usability inspections -- identifying key issues that are likely to arise within and across our products.
Sr. UX Researchers collaborate closely with product owners, interaction and visual designers, prototypers, engineers, and sales to deliver their persuasive and compelling findings to executive stakeholders. The ideal candidate is driven by the desire to be a user advocate and is passionate about gathering insights based on direct observation to create products that are intuitive and satisfying.
We'll trust you to:
- Work collaboratively with project stakeholders to define research goals and create research plans
- Work independently to lead multiple projects with sensitivity to shifting executive priorities
- Ensure that your work ethos is consistent with our values of diversity and inclusion
- Have a global mindset: our products are used worldwide
- Pursue initiatives that will further our research methods and impact
- Conduct client-site, lab-based, guerilla-style, and remote interviews
- Conduct usability inspections (heuristic evaluations, cognitive walkthroughs, etc.)
- Use usage statistics to inform qualitative research
- Conduct online research (card sorts, tree tests, remote usability tests, etc.)
- Evaluate and research challenges to accessibility
You need to have:
- Demonstrated ability to design and execute exploratory field studies, usability inspections, and lab studies
- 5+ years of experience in user experience research in a business setting
- Superior verbal and written presentation skills to communicate clear, concise findings and actionable recommendation
- Working knowledge of a recording / logging tool such as Ovo Studios, Morae, Camtasia, etc.
- B.S. in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Interaction Design, Cognitive Psychology, Cognitive Science, or related field is preferred; M.S. or Ph.D. is highly desired
- Flexibility to travel (10%), including internationally
We'd love to see:
- Experience with statistical analysis, including large scale usability studies
- Familiarity working in financial domains
- Experience evaluating platform-level functionality (such as operating system features and user interface toolkits)
- Experience working with enterprise products or software as a service
- Knowledge of eye-tracking methods
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps but in the meantime feel free to browse this: http://www.bloomberg.com/professional
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Your portfolio should include deliverables that display your mastery of methodologies, especially lab studies and usability inspections. We are as interested in seeing details about your process (ex: research plan, discussion guide) as we are in seeing the quality of your reporting.
Please provide us with a link to your portfolio and include it in your application. If you need some other way of showing us your work (either by emailing it, bringing it in person, or through an online real-time screen-sharing session), please apply for the role and we'll contact you to make arrangements to view it.
Please do not, without proper consent, share or disclose to Bloomberg any confidential or proprietary information that you may have obtained in connection with employment with any other employer, or which may be considered the Work Product of any other individual or entity.