Technical Architect - Open Source Program Office
Bloomberg's CTO Office is the forward looking technical arm of Bloomberg L.P. We envision, design and prototype the next generation infrastructure, hardware and applications that interface in all aspects of the company including financial products, broadcast and media, data centers, public cloud, internal IT and our large global network.
The CTO Open Source team works on building, enhancing, and supporting the company's relationship with the global open source software community:
- facilitating publication of Bloomberg's own software as open source projects, including collaboration with Guilds and other subject-matter experts
- supporting hundreds of Bloomberg's team members who contribute to open source projects as part of their jobs
- working with various teams across the company (including COO, CFO, Legal, CRCO, and others) to set and implement policies and processes to support open source software activities
As a member of our team, you will work with motivated and skilled engineers across the company to deliver timely and secure solutions, and help us define the future of Bloomberg's open source community engagement. What's in it for you:
We'll trust you to:
- Contribute to the long term vision for open source software at Bloomberg.
- Influence the roadmap for usage of open source software at Bloomberg, with special emphasis on contributing to the communities that produce the software.
- Provide guidance for engineering teams who are considering adoption of open source software tools and infrastructure.
- Shape the roadmap for Open Source Software Supply Chain Security
- Collaborate with teams across the company to set standards and create policies/processes for engagement with open source software communities.
- Develop automation and tooling to support those processes.
- Help to improve developer productivity for over 6000 engineers by providing efficient, effective workflows supporting their use of, and contribution to, open source software.
You'll need to have:
- Take a leadership role in defining tools, techniques and technologies used to manage Bloomberg's open source community engagement.
- Support new product development, guiding teams with the appropriate information about the suitability and viability of the open source software they are considering.
- Collaborate with the open source team's peers at other enterprise companies who engage with the open source software community to develop global best practices, publish whitepapers, and build tooling..
- Participate in Bloomberg's strategy to improve its software supply chain, as the majority of software brought into the company is open source software.
- Foster a culture of contribution best practices while balancing the trade-offs between security, safety, and team member support.
- Represent Bloomberg at industry conferences and meetings.
We'd love to see:
- 3+ years of experience engaging with more than one open source software community as a contributor (of any type).
- A track record of building collaborative relationships with stakeholders across many teams, with a focus on solving the problem at hand while applying best practices and ensuring that the relevant external software - communities are represented.
- Experience working 'in the open', where most of your efforts are visible to the public at all times.
- Extensive experience in accurate and professional written communication across global communities, especially those with members who do not share your primary language.
- When appropriate, the ability to travel 5-6 times per year to in-person industry conferences and collaboration meetings, and additionally to visit Bloomberg's engineering offices around the world.
Our Open Source Commitment:
- Experience leading distributed teams, especially in external communities.
- Familiarity with open source licenses and licensing models.
- Breadth of knowledge in systems, programming languages, networks, and software.
- Experience developing educational material and demonstrated ability to teach others, at all levels of experience.
Bloomberg sits at the intersection of high availability, low latency, and large-scale computing. We have a decade-long track record of using open source software to build data infrastructure and applications that address the unique constraints of the finance industry. We also support a broad open source ecosystem to empower others to solve similar real-world problems. From technical governance to upstream collaboration, we are committed to enhancing the impact and sustainability of open source.
In this role, you'll be expected to interact with global open source project teams and communities. If you have a desire to use, develop, and lead open source software projects, we encourage you to apply. To learn more about our activities in the open source community, head over to our Tech at Bloomberg site.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.