UI Design Developer
JP Morgan's Corporate Investment Bank (CIB)
We are actively seeking innovative quality-motivated Creative Technologists to join our team. Over the past couple of years, J.P. Morgan is embarking on a transformation into the fin-tech future of institutional trading by incorporating emerging technologies such as block chain, data science, machine learning, and cyber-security into the products we create. Our team, which sits within JP Morgan's institutional trading arm (serving corporate clients), leverages such technologies to develop and refine the tools considered most essential to the users that keep this business at the top of the industry: traders, analysts, portfolio managers and others closely involved in the origination, analytics, and execution of trades. These users have complex, fast-paced, informationally overloaded jobs, within an already complex industry. And so the tools we design and build must add value while adding minimal complexity. To do our job well, we follow a creative design-led approach to help us break through the industry jargon and bureaucracy and find insights that others can't. We elevate Design not just to solve users' problems but also to steer a product's evolution over the long term to be professional, innovative and high quality, ready to take a competitive position within the industry.
Our CTs are an important conduit between User Experience and a larger corporate product development organization. Our CTs sit alongside a talented team of Design professionals and Product Managers, all working to deliver cutting edge top quality user experiences for our most critical client-facing trading systems. Responsibilities
- The program is divided into small, highly motivated, agile teams. Throughout our regular software deliveries, team members are expected to keep sight of the ideal user experience making progress towards that goal with smaller discrete drops strategically over time.
- As a confident and senior coding specialist, you can skillfully handle team members, stakeholders, and work on a variety of projects when necessary. You must be confident and able to quickly learn and adapt to new, and often complex, domains. Above all you must have the drive to create next-generation user interfaces by applying your awareness of design, human-computer interaction, and the skills you've learned from delivering UIs within a design-led product development environment.
- Ideally you will have a blend of technical skills and design craft and creativity in delivery so that you're able to imagine how the interface could work and then bring it fruition. An educational background in computer science or internet technologies is preferred.
- The ideal candidates will have a background delivering front end development for UX for web and desktop applications. Delivery of mobile is a plus.
- We are looking for highly professional team members who enjoy collaborating and have excellent communication skills. You'll appreciate good design aesthetics, handle pressure well, and be excited to serve as a model for delivering quality (yet pragmatic) UIs which could ultimately influence the broader organization.
Our Creative Technologists will support ongoing functional deliveries for the bank's various client-facing and trading-floor systems. In particular these systems include research, commentary, pricing, trading, and order management. These, often complex systems are more than your average banking app in that they need to handling real-time data, support a variety of user functions, are time sensitive and demand critical accuracy.
Bachelor'sDegree or equivalent in a computer science or internet technologiesrelated subject; or relative experience. Preferred Work Experience:
The ideal candidate would show:
- Has successfully worked within complete, well-rounded product teams, preferably within Financial Services
- Has a keen eye to design detail and the overall finished effect especially in the areas of typography, data visualization and other visual arts
- Can demonstrate and talk about past deliveries of complex and rich user interfaces
- Experience designing and building Design Themes using advanced CSS techniques and is comfortable using css preprocessors such as LESS and SASS.
- Ability to create wireframes when necessary to help flesh out complex interactions for development
- Strong working knowledge of Sketch and associated design tools
- Experience leveraging user interface design patterns and standard UCD methodologies
- Resourcefulness, independence, and innovation;
- Leadership across all standard product design phases;
- The ability to create re-usable code for other teams to leverage;
- Have the ability to work with Interaction and Visual Designers to translate design specifications into compelling UI's that demonstrate the power and value of the rich internet application experience
- Create robust documentation (i.e. UI Toolkits) that is valuable beyond the immediate team
- Enjoy understanding our clients and end user needs and strive to provide the best possible experience.