The Internal Audit Department (IAD) of The Charles Schwab Corporation provides independent and objective assessments to figure out whether all significant risks are identified and appropriately reported by management and risk functions to the Board and Executive Management, to evaluate whether risks are adequately controlled, and to challenge Executive Management to improve the efficiency of governance processes, risk management, and internal controls.
The Internal Audit Bank enterprise team is seeking a Senior Specialist. The Bank Internal Audit team is passionate about the execution of Bank and Trust audits that target governance processes, risk management programs, internal controls, and regulatory compliance. The team also shares responsibility for regulatory agency interactions, Board and Executive Management reporting, and general relationship management. Internal Audit activities are directed towards the Charles Schwab Banking and Trust Services (BTS) organization, which represents three federally-chartered banks and two personal trust companies. These entities represent wholly-owned subsidiaries of the Charles Schwab Corporation (CSC) that are focused on offering traditional retail and advisor-sponsored banking and personal trust services to complement Schwab’s brokerage capabilities. Business trust services are provided for entities seeking trust and custody services for employee benefit plans.
Reporting to a Managing Director in the Bank enterprise team, the Senior Specialist will have responsibility for assisting in the independent and objective assurance activities crafted to improve the organization’s operations and compliance with key regulations by evaluating and improving the efficiency of risk management, control, and governance processes.
What you are good at
- Audit Execution: Participate in the planning and execution of internal audit assignments, ensuring work is performed in accordance with IIA standards and IAD policies and procedures. Responsibilities will include: scheduling and participation in audit meetings; participation in scoping discussions; drafting of audit deliverables; design and execution of testing; and completion and review of work papers. Additionally, assist in the tracking of team operations including audit status, issue status, and budgets.
- Issues Identification: Based on the results of audit testing, identify and draft audit observations for review by the Internal Audit Manager/Senior Manager (and above levels) and subsequent debriefing with the key partners.
- Issue Management and Validation: Conduct validation testing of the audit issue action plans completed by the business.
- Risk Assessment: Under the direct supervision of IAD Management, participate as directed in the annual Risk Assessment process, including scheduling and participation in meetings with partners, and the scoring and documentation of risk ratings.
- Coaching: Provide support, mentoring, and feedback to audit team members throughout the audit. Provide assistance with onboarding and ongoing support to new team members.
- Administration/Training: Completion of firm-wide and departmental administration and training requirements.
- Other Initiatives/Special Projects: As needed, assist with special projects related to business operational improvement or internal team needs.
What you have
- 3 - 5+ years of financial services-related audit experience with growing responsibility. Bank and/or Trust experience specific to internal audit and/or similar Big 4 audit or regulatory experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience performing internal audits amongst a complex operational and regulatory environment.
- Ability to work as a member of a project team and cultivate a strong working relationship with external co-sourcing providers and internal lines of businesses.
- Holding or in process of achieving CPA or CIA designations strongly preferred. Other relevant certifications will be considered.
- Understanding of risks and internal controls and the ability to evaluate and determine adequacy and efficiency of controls.
- Stays current on industry and regulatory issues and standard methodologies; imparts this knowledge to the team and the auditees.
- Excellent analytical skills, including the ability to anticipate issues and to design appropriate solutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a shown ability to articulate effectively and authoritatively.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Ability to travel 15-20%