IBM Garage is a bold, comprehensive approach to innovation, modernisation and transformation that quickly creates and scales new ideas that dramatically impact client's business. IBM Garage is more how you work than what you work on. It combines modern ways of working into an integrated operating model to help clients identify important business problems, design, prototype and prove potential solutions, and scale those solutions across a client's business.
As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you'll tackle complex, business challenges alongside other builders and thinkers from different backgrounds in AI, IoT and robotics, quantum and blockchain. A successful candidate will have solid experience developing key insights about diverse audiences and able to do segmentation by needs. As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will undertake research with a range of end users to better understand their needs, and their relationship with the various factors that influence their environment. You are a quick learner, enthusiastic, detail-oriented and collaborative-join a team that's helping to bring human-centred design to the world's most vital industries.
Your Role and Responsibilities The role and your responsibilities
- Join a high performing product squad and be responsible for the User across all stages of product and service development, ultimately ensuring there is 'no bias' in the User research and product design.
- Conduct research across the various forms including review of reports, previous experiments
undertaken by various experts in the sector-to come to a point of view around what we know, where
there may be bias and where we still have questions
- Leverage IBM Subject Matter Experts knowledge and thought leadership to appreciate domain
- Structure appropriate forms of User research based on the degree of unknowns and lead the product
squad through fieldwork, analysis of findings and insight development
- Provide research results to product team and senior stakeholders
- At time, provide deliverables, reports, presentations, and/or videos to document and bring to life insights in an engaging and inspiring way
- Oversee the product design process to ensure the squad adheres to the research findings and help remove 'bias' in design. Work with cross-capability teams of UI and Service Designers, Product Engineers, Business Leads, and SMEs to create and manage a product's lifecycle
- Mentor a team of designers (Researchers, UX/UI, Service Designers, Organisational Designers, Frontend Devs) working across multiple initiatives. Help grow the community and practice of design at IBM and play a key role in recruiting designers
- Participate in the IBM Design Chapter
- Find novel ways to build a sustainable culture of design and design thinking at IBM
Required Technical and Professional Expertise Required Experience
- Method experience: Design Thinking, Lean Start-up, Lean UX, Design Sprints and Agile.
- Sprint based research experience, Usability research
- Qual/Quant/Behaviourial research experience with a proven ability to scope research, lead fieldwork,
conduct interviews, perform desktop research, lead synthesis and communicate findings to
- Experience recruiting and interviewing research participants within an organisation and its external
- Ability to synthesize research findings to uncover and articulate insights that will inform and inspire
- Ability to shape and lead strategic, systems thinking based upon insights gathered through research
- Ability to link business value with customer experience demonstrating the value of design in the
- Ability to influence and build relationships with senior executives
- Experience with Stakeholder management and conflict resolution
- Experience with providing documentation and commercials during scoping activities
- Exceptional communication and storytelling skills; fluency and confidence in inspiring teammates and
partners with user-driven rationale
- Ability to communicate information visually
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, exercising a balance between research rigor and speed; we are
looking for people who can maintain no bias throughout, but who also experiment in their approach and
- Experience using technology and digital methods to uncover needs (e.g.: experience conducting online
ethnography, implementing remote user studies, moderating/monitoring online communities,
collaborating with developers to build web or digital prototypes to gather feedback, etc.).
- Experience working in a Product Squad, Start-up or cross-functional team
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise Additional Skills
- Executional skills in Mural, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, InVision, Keynote, research survey tools, and
other design software tools. This is a hands on role and proficiency in any of the above is expected
- Experience running remote research and workshops
- You love working on teams and share a passion for IBM's mission to Be Essential and to do work that
matters, making the world a better place.