Senior Investment Director, Strategy and Research
- Exciting opportunity within our global Investments group
- Full time or part time, permanent role based in Melbourne CBD
- Be part of a globally expanding funds manager
AustralianSuper is for all Australians and businesses; we put members first in everything we do with the goal of helping to create the best possible retirement outcome. More than two million members trust us to invest more than $165 billion on their behalf. Here's where you come in
AustralianSuper are looking for a Senior Investment Director, Strategy and Research to join our Investments 'Mid Risk' Portfolios team. Mid Risk Portfolios comprise predominantly our unlisted infrastructure and property portfolios as well as sub investment grade credit.
Based in our Melbourne office, your primary responsibility is to develop and coordinate a top down Mid Risk Portfolio strategy with the support of the sub-portfolio teams. Your other key responsibility will be to recommend and monitor the portfolio construction or mix of the Mid Risk Portfolios consistent with the portfolio strategy.
You will achieve this by working in collaboration with sub-portfolio teams as well as coordinating thematic research which will inform the long term Mid Risk portfolio strategy. Some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Working closely with the Head of Mid Risk Portfolios and each sub-portfolio head in leading the Mid Risk Portfolios' strategy function. This includes the incorporation of research insights, collaboration amongst teams, and harmonisation of underlying portfolio positions and strategies into a cohesive Mid Risk Portfolio strategy
- Consistent with the approved portfolio strategy, make portfolio construction recommendations and monitor portfolio positions utilising a well-structured portfolio construction/mix process
- Making portfolio construction recommendations and monitoring portfolio positions utilising a well-structured portfolio construction/mix process, while ensuring consistency with the approved portfolio strategy
- Identifying a limited number of key secular and thematic trends that will shape Mid Risk Portfolio outcomes over the coming 5 to 15 years
- Collaborating with peers in the Macro team, Portfolio Construction colleagues and more broadly across the Investments group to ensure an integrated and coordinated research and portfolio construction program
- Form, lead and/or participate in virtual project teams of external and internal experts, drawn from both the top down (e.g. Portfolio Construction & Asset Allocation) and Mid Risk Portfolio teams, for each trend or topic
- Managing a small group (2-3 over time) of direct reports
To be successful in this role, you will need a proven track record of working for an institutional investment manager, pension fund or financial services firm (particularly asset/portfolio consulting). You have experience within investment strategy and/or portfolio construction, along with considerable exposure to real estate and/or infrastructure asset classes. You will have the ability to synthesize complex information into concise investment conclusions and communicate them in a clear and convincing manner.
You are comfortable dealing with, gathering and analysing economic and financial data, and have confidence in preparing and delivering reports and research findings. This role requires someone with the ability to oversee and collaborate with other research analysts and portfolio strategists across the Investments group and oversee and collaborate with other research analysts and/or portfolio strategists across the investment department.
Ideally you have experience in a portfolio strategy or head of portfolio role for a real estate and/or infrastructure platform, and have familiarity with use of primary data sources and data vendors such as Bloomberg and Datastream. What's next...
If you would like the opportunity to work in a challenging, growing and rapidly evolving environment to deliver outstanding results that benefit members, please apply now! Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. Agencies please note: this vacancy is being managed directly by AustralianSuper's Recruitment team. We will contact our preferred agency partners should we require additional support. Thank you.