Electrical Data Center Field Engineer
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking an Engineer with an Electrical Engineering background to become part of a global Field Engineering team, responsible for ensuring the effectiveness of the design and continuous innovation of our rapidly expanding data center fleet. As engineers at Amazon, we are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers via our resilient designs and cost effective systems. As one of our Field Engineers, you will work directly with our Design Engineering, Construction, Operations, and Commissioning teams at the Data Centers within your assigned region to analyze problems with the existing fleet and implement solutions specific to your region, and across the global fleet. You will be the engineering representative on behalf of the operations team responsible for the successful closure for technical engineering issues encountered in live sites. You will be the point for contact for all internal groups looking for engineering based solutions to issues encountered post-handover. As part of continuous improvement and feedback cycles you will be tasked to provide suggestions for improving cost/performance/simplicity of our equipment and system designs. This will include reviewing existing designs and contributing your field experience to work with the Design Engineering team to drive the continuous improvement of the design and equipment selection.
As the Electrical Field Engineer, you will directly support construction and be a part of the process from inception through design and commissioning, ultimately leading to site turnover. Post-handover you will be the subject matter expert for all things engineering within the first room and for successive builds, your role will be to ensure that the systems installed operate as effectively and efficiently as designed. Amazon has a global presence, therefore, domestic and international travel will be necessary up to 25% of your time. Teamwork is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required tasks. This includes working with many of the internal groups within Amazon as well as external suppliers and consultants including; utility providers, equipment manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
You will require or build a deep understanding of the critical equipment needs and operational challenges for large infrastructure mission critical sites and equipment; especially data centers, while understanding the constructability concerns of varying designs.
Field Engineers are responsible for the following:
Ø Understand the design, functionality, capabilities and operational controls of the Data Center(s) within your assigned Region.
Ø Provide direct hands on support to the onsite operations team including failure event support and root cause analysis, maintenance and troubleshooting support, best practices, maintenance initiatives and operating procedure review.
Ø Leveraging from your direct input into the resolution of operational issues, provide direct influence over all designs for construction of new Data Centers as well as legacy Data Center upgrades.
Ø Responsibility for the design, implementation and handoff of capital expenditure upgrades to existing data center spaces as well as ensuring that these upgrades are built into the next phase / building design.
Ø Work with internal teams to trouble shoot problems and conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective Actions (CA) for design related problems affecting the efficient and resilient operation of the site.
Ø Work with commissioning teams to ensure that critical infrastructure is properly tested as well as validating installation, operation, and performance of the critical electrical/mechanical systems.
Ø Review and approve equipment submittals where necessary for first phase installations and for changes as they are proposed.
Ø Interface with internal data center design teams, server hardware teams, environmental health and safety teams to promote standards that maintain consistency and reliability in the systems and equipment installed within the site(s).
Ø When requested to provide support for other sites / regions, travel for site review and conduct engineering evaluations, audits, and site launches.
Ø Work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
Ø Have fun and work hard! Basic Qualifications
• Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering.
• 7+ year of experience in a similar Field Engineering, MEP Design or Commissioning Role in Mission Critical facilities.
• Must have fluent knowledge of continuous operating redundant electrical systems, cooling systems, air flow containment systems and building management systems.
• Experience reading and interpreting Single Line drawings, construction drawings and equipment specifications.
• Organized and have the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines and budgets.
• Possess excellent leadership and problem solving skills.
• Ability to carry design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment.
• Ability to produce analyses that ensure designs satisfy defined requirements, including predicted performance and power quality specifications.
• Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
• Ability to develop solutions and execute plans on complex projects. Preferred Qualifications
• 10+ years of direct experience with the construction, operation, or maintenance of data centers.
• Knowledge of local building codes and regulations including Life Safety.
• In depth understanding of both mechanical and electrical equipment/design related to data centers (Including but not limited to: uninterruptible power sources, diesel / gas turbine generators, electrical switch-gear, power distribution units, variable frequency drives, automatic/static transfer switches, chillers [air-cooled and water-cooled], pumps, cooling towers, heat exchangers, CRAHs, air economizers).
• Electrical: Good working knowledge of electrical system protection and coordination schemes.
• Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects..