Programmer Analyst Advisory with VAR and Java
Requisition ID: 73348
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off. The Team
VAR Team is responsible for supporting and enhancing the existing VAR Application that calculates Value at Risk measures and Stress testing measures for the Enterprise Capital Analysis and Enterprise Stress Testing team. The role:
Senior back end developer who ensures delivery of VAR (Value at Risk) application, specialized on integration with the Streaming Architecture, works closely with business and team members to understand business requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. Is this role right for you?
Successful candidate will be working in the Streaming Architecture team for the first 6 months. Streaming architecture is an enterprise data platofrm that utilizes Kafka, Nifi and Elastic search as the underlying technology. After the first 6 months, the candidate will be responsible for code development, modernization(exploring new technologies) and supporting the VAR application which is comprised of many different components currently utilizing different technology stacks. (i.e. Shell, Java, Python, Oracle, Postgres). The focus for the candidate will be on integration of the VAR application with Streaming Architecture which involves publishing the data from VAR application to Streaming Architecture and consuming data from Streaming Architecture to VAR applicatoin. Ideal candidate would be required to
Key Job Accountabilities:
- able to work with diverse set of technologies, build on top of existing implementations, and ensure sound integration with surrounding components from end to end operational perspective
- design sound solutions by understanding why is the functionality needed and how is the end user going to use the functionality
- ensure the quality of the new features, while maintaining the existing functionality or system performance by building automated testing and regression suites
- The candidate must be able to interact with numerous internal teams including Operations, LRDC and tertiary support groups. The incumbent will be required to lead a small-medium sized mixed team that will be responsible for supporting regulatory reports on a global scale.
- The incumbent will have at least 5-10 years of progressive IT experience and a strong technical background. The individual must be self-driven, think proactively and be able to provide leadership and guidance to a highly technical team.
- Participate in development of cost effective and robust applications.
- Provide technical support to applications in production and during user acceptance testing.
- Participate in systems implementation, planning, and development.
- Provide technical guidance to other team members.
- Manage small to medium sized team of mixed resources with varying degrees of technical expertise
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role?
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Strong ability to work on several concurrent assignments involving various technologies and environments.
- Disciplined approach to development methodology and software development technologies and concepts.
- Extensive hands-on experience with all phases of SDLC.
- Prior people management experience would be an asset.
- Experience working with large volumes of data processed daily
- 5+ years working on data transformation.
- 3+ years' experience using Linux or Unix, including related scripting
- 5+ years hands on experience supporting production applications. Willing to be on-call, on a rotating basis, if needed in the future.
- 2+ years' experience using source control systems. SVN and/or Git preferred.
- 5+ years of experience working with Java/J2EE. Familiarity with multiple external Java frameworks is a plus (such a Spring, Struts, Log4J, etc.)
- 5+ year's hands-on experience with RDBMS Systems Server. Oracle or Postgres preferred.
- Strong configuration skills and very comfortable working with large data volume
- Familiarity with major transport protocols: FTP, SFTP and other SSH connectivity tools.
- Experience working with and configuring vendor applications is a strong plus
- Desired business knowledge:
- Knowledge of financial instruments.
- Experienced in application / solutions architecture
What's in it for you?
- A recognized under-graduate degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics or related discipline.
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We provide you with the tools and technology needed to create beautiful customer experiences
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top technology companies around the world
- Dress codes don't apply here, being comfortable does
- Onsite cafeteria
- We offer a competitive total rewards package that includes a base salary, a performance bonus, company matching programs (on pension & profit sharing), generous vacation, personal & sick days, personal development funding, maternity leave top-up, parental leave and much more.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Bank, Banking, Engineer, Web Design, Software Engineer, Finance, Engineering, Creative