Senior Cloud Engineer
Requisition ID: 85699
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As Scotiabank's engine of modernization, the PLATO platform enables technology teams to build software quickly and securely using modern practices. PLATO is an integrated set of technical capabilities, services and processes that encapsulate critical enterprise functions through standardization, re-use and automation.
The PLATO team is comprised of engineers, problem solvers, agilists and creatives in roles such as Enterprise Platform Engineering and Architecture, Enterprise Data Services, Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture, Product Engineering, and Product Management. Together, the team provides the platform that enables the Bank to deliver transformative experiences that help our 24 million customers become better off.
Interested in joining an agile team that's impacting change for our customers around the world? Watch our video Job Purpose:
Scotiabank has embarked on the journey to modernize both development practices and tools. One of the main areas of transformation is the public cloud and the various platform technologies that support both development and operations on the cloud. The aim is to provide a streamlined process and framework which will allow the development teams to focus on building business logic. We are looking to build our development team with influencer, makers, creators and industry leaders who will drive us forward.
The role of the Senior Cloud Engineer operates within the Cloud Engineering team. This valuable member of the team will be responsible for creating platform components and services for the broad enterprise use. Key Accountabilities:
- Key accountabilities include development, management, and maintenance of cloud platforms, services, and components to enable safe enterprise-wide use of cloud common functionality.
- Level 3 support responsibilities are required.
- Technical ownership/leadership of enterprise cloud product(s) or a complex part of a larger product including the design, software, and processes necessary for ongoing operations.
- Designing, implementing, and refactoring code.
- Participating in design discussions focused on scalability, design, and implementation best practices.
- Ensuring software, programs, and applications are developed and/or configured to meet high availability, integrity, and reliability requirements.
- Working with other lead engineers and architects on designing solutions and breaking-down, scoping, and estimating tasks.
- Participate in planning and retrospective sessions, attending stand-ups, etc.
- Be able to build and operate the highly available and scalable software and infrastructure.
- Mentorship of junior cloud engineers.
- Our teams are flexible and fast - peer review and quality control on a daily basis.
- Enthusiasm for cloud transformation and cloud platform/components/services development.
- Strong development experience, delivery history, and breadth of language experience (Java, Python).
- Full understanding of software development life cycle as well as related technologies in the context of Scotiabank.
- Sufficient domain expertise in cloud platform features and capabilities.
- Proven experience in cloud development (Google GCP, Microsoft Azure).
- Expert in either a modern technology stack being built out by PLATO or in Scotia's legacy systems.
- Full stack experience in product development.
- Experience in technical leadership of small sized technical teams in delivering production solutions.
- Experience in delivering enterprise systems collaborating and driving solutions with multiple teams across the organization.
- Knowledge of software design patterns, infrastructure architecture, DevOps, and security considerations.
- Awareness of how scalable, enterprise-level software system is designed (both on code and infrastructure levels).
- Experience working with relational databases.
- Understanding of software release process (environments, binary repositories, CI/CD).
- Writing and maintaining related documentation.
- Experience within Canadian financial institutions a benefit.
- Experience with Kubernetes or containerized applications is a benefit.
- Bachelor (equivalent or higher) degree in computer science or engineering/mathematics discipline.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Cloud, Bank, Banking, Engineer, Developer, Technology, Engineering, Finance