Vice President, Operations & Engineering - Toronto, ON
Requisition ID: 40415
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off. Job Purpose:
Provides strategic direction, leadership and oversight for build, delivery, integration and support of infrastructure solutions that mean business needs, while ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are supported in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies, procedures and architecture guidelines. Key Accountabilities:
- Leads and drives a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Responsible for ensuring development, delivery and day to day operations of core IT services that meet business needs and SLA requirements, are deployable globally at scale, and align with BNS technology standards and pattern, as well as industry best practices.
- Lead build-engineering and design for on-premise core hosting systems, including server platforms, storage, and VMs, in alignment with infrastructure architecture standards.
- Work closely with Enterprise Architecture team to develop and transition to a robust operating model for cloud support, including engineering (build) and operations (run) responsibilities.
- Design, build and support a robust end-to-end monitoring capability for IT systems and supported business processes. Deploy automation capability in support of IT operations, with a focus on error-reduction, improved time to market, reduction in outages and time to recover, and cost efficiency.
- Lead and develop a global service operations center, establishing a common command center function for IT.
- Build production support service to provide core batch services and best practices/standards for production control functions within the LOBs.
- Manage key services supplier relationships (e.g., IBM, TechM) and ensure delivered services meet upstream and downstream SLAs, that we optimize cost-efficiency and maintain the correct portfolio of outsourced services.
- Responsible for all data center facilities, globally, that support the bank's IT systems, including owned-premises, leased premises, and premised provided via third-party hosting and managed service relationships. Ensure facilities meet bank standards and industry best practices, and are aligned with the bank's service level and regulatory commitments.
- Leads team responsible for core enterprise systems, such as email and Active Directory. Ensures these systems are built and managed in accordance with bank standards and best practices, are deployed globally and efficiently, and meet business-agreed SLA levels.
- Accountable for achievement of annual budget targets, and for partnering with business stakeholders to meet business-level targets. Proactively identifies and champions opportunities for efficiency and cost savings in the technology landscape.
- Uses multiple strategies to attract, retain and motivate the highest caliber of technology talent, building a cohesive team with a shared vision. Provides strong leadership in setting the group's priorities, strategy and performance objectives. Motivates individual and team performance, knowledge sharing, interprets organizational direction, measures performance, and diagnoses training and development needs.
- Directs day-to-day activities in a manner consistent with the Bank's risk culture and the relevant risk appetite statement and limits. Communicates the Bank's risk culture and risk appetite statement throughout their teams.
- Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Builds a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
Experience / Education:
- Demonstrated ability to lead large, global technical teams in a highly complex and matrixed organization. Ability to lead through influence, excellence and example is essential to success.
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills. Excellent oral and written communication, ability to present confidently to senior executives, attention to detail and strong planning and management ability.
- The incumbent must be a very strong leader, with demonstrated ability to lead technical teams and build and maintain credibility with technical and non-technical stakeholders, alike. Deep knowledge of relevant technologies must be combined with business acumen and excellent communication and listening skills.
- The incumbent should have experience leading technical teams through periods of uncertainty and major change, demonstrating the ability to inspire and align the team to support and deliver the change objectives.
- Deep and broad knowledge of enterprise technologies is expected. Specific strong knowledge and experience with common hosting and storage technologies, as well as cloud, is required. Experience leading large operations and/or engineering teams in a 7x24 mission-critical environment is crucial.
- The incumbent should have experience delivering excellent results in a large, complex and global environment with a mix of emerging, current and legacy technology. Familiarity and direct experience with outsource delivery models is essential, and experience with successful repatriation of services is highly desired.
- University degree, preferably in Engineering, Computer Science or related field, and a minimum of 10 years experience in IT service delivery senior leadership roles. Financial services and, specifically, banking experience is highly desired.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a leader when it comes to inclusion. We are a diverse and global team, speaking more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible. Job Segment:
Operations Manager, Computer Science, Information Technology, IT Architecture, Operations, Technology