About the Role
The Business Manager is a dynamic role responsible for contributing to business strategy; data analysis and reporting; project oversight; budget / expense management; risk &controls; and other areas that ensure the Division runs smoothly and effectively. It is critical for the Business Manager to also engage and collaborate across the Group, including senior management, to ensure divisional initiatives align with that of the Group's.
The strategic priorities of the Business Management Function are to:
Business Managers are evaluated based on:
- Act as trusted partner to Divisions and provide business enablers to facilitate better business decision-making in support of strategic and financial objectives
- Provide thorough financial analysis and business reporting to drive financial discipline
- Act as the "1.5 line of defense", ensuring sound business practices and compliance to policies
- Collaborate with firmwide stakeholders to deliver initiatives and strategic priorities
- Contribution to the fulfillment of Business Management Function's targets and objectives through the delivery of "Core Tasks"
- Contribution to the fulfillment of divisional business needs through the delivery of "Divisional Tasks" and "Ad Hoc Tasks"
- Proactiveness and individual contribution to initiatives and deliverables
- "Customer" and stakeholder satisfaction (Division/Department Head feedback will be solicited)
Ability to understand business needs, connect and communicate with stakeholders
Demonstration of aligning divisional/departmental work and priorities in the order of the firm, the division/department and then the team
Demonstration of collaborative and adaptive teamwork both within the business verticals supported by the individual business manager, and across business verticals through business managers and other functional business partners (e.g. HR, Legal)
Demonstration of results of problem-solving, influencing and continued innovation in improvement of quality, productivity and impact of Business Managers' work
- Act as a trusted partner to the Division to drive and execute key strategic initiatives and drive leadership team agendas
- Contribute to the decision making process of business teams by providing value-add analysis; proactively analyse trends and changes and utilise qualitative and quantitative tools to synthesise data and information, drawing conclusions and making recommendations for senior management
- Work with business teams to develop and track measurable key performance metrics and effectively communicate results attributed to the Division's efforts in order to provide the Business with enablers and insights to better manage resources
- Assist in the development and production of executive level business reviews and dashboards, as well as other required financial reporting
- Collaborate closely with Finance to help the Division maintain good financial discipline - i.e. manage budgeting, forecasting, project capex / opex tracking etc.
- Collaborate closely with second line functions to monitor that Division is compliant with policies and procedures applicable to the business, escalate any issues and facilitate communication between first and second line functions
- Facilitate the tracking of outstanding risk / compliance / audit issues and liaise with relevant issue owners in the Division on remediation
- Point of contact of any initiatives involving other lines of business or firmwide
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders within the Division as well as other Business Managers to facilitate information flow and realise cross-divisional synergies
- Work with firmwide and divisional stakeholders to identify areas that can be improved (e.g. enhance existing processes), and embrace innovation to improve efficiency, productivity and client experience
- Evaluate and advise respective teams in developing firmwide policies in terms of impact to division/department to be considered
- Strong business acumen and good understanding of business needs in the context of short and long term objectives; thinks holistically and strategically about the business
- Sound knowledge of financial markets and products; prior experience in capital markets, "new economy" sectors, controls functions and/or business management a plus
- Detail-oriented, strong analytical and problem solving skills, project management experience
- Proactive and self-motivated; able to be a team player or an individual contributor
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written); able to interact effectively with peers and senior management alike
- Superior judgment and professionalism and upholds strong business ethics and integrity when dealing with confidential and sensitive information
- Can adapt quickly to a fast-paced and dynamic environment with unforeseen, ad-hoc circumstances; works well under pressure
- Highly-organised with strong multi-tasking and time management skills
- Aptitude for technology (proficiency in Microsoft tools a must)
Applicants who do not hear from us within 6 weeks may consider their applications unsuccessful. Personal data provided will only be used for the purpose of employment application to HKEX.