The role of Chief Economist Asia within Swiss Re Institute (SRI) is an excellent growth opportunity to steer strategic research projects with a tangible business impact. You will lead a high-caliber and motivated international team to drive our company´s thought leadership economic and re/insurance research. The role as Chief Economist in Asia will act as a key spokesperson for the Asia region, plays an important role in crafting the industry views. The role will also support our company's business development from global to Asia by working closely with different business divisions across Swiss Re Group and regions.
Your main responsibilities include:
- Drive research portfolio with a focus on macroeconomic and (re) insurance markets in Asia (ex-China) and contribute to global research projects (e.g. our sigma, Expertise Publications, Economic Insights, etc).
- Lead external research collaboration with a network of universities and research institutes around the region.
- Act as a spokesperson for Asia (ex-China) region in industry events and public forums to build company's branding.
- Strong engagement with reinsurance clients, brokers, local regulators, rating agencies, trade associations and other external partners. Support Group deliverables from Group Economic Research and closely interact with the Global Head of Insurance Analysis as well as Head Macro Strategy
- Deliver strategic inputs to support business, including:
- Regular presentation to Swiss Re Asia Board of Directors and various committees on key macroeconomic and financial market industry trends
- Provide inputs for Group Planning projects
- Support Corporate Solutions and Life Capital in strategy formulation, business development, client engagement, thought leadership, etc
- Support Group Chief Economist as needed and on an "ad-hoc basis"
About the Team
Group Economic Research and Strategy (GERS) is part of the Swiss Re Institute, and is responsible for analyzing and forecasting the global macroeconomic and insurance market environment. The team holds a crucial role in steering Swiss Re's capital allocation for both sides of the balance sheet. The team also drives thought leadership on topics of strategic importance for the Group and helps crafting the policy dialogue and outcome. GERS is responsible for Swiss Re's flagship sigma publication series.
GERS is highly visible and interacts with a wide variety of key partners and decision makers across the organization and externally. We are a truly global team located in Zurich, New York, Hong Kong and Beijing and collaborate closely with all of Swiss Re's business divisions and Group functions.
Swiss Re embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We collaborate in a flexible working environment, providing all of our employees with a compelling degree of autonomy to decide how, when and where we work most efficiently.
- PhD. or Master’s degree in Economics or a related field and 10+ years' work experience in economic/insurance research or related areas
- Deep understanding about Asian economies and (re) insurance market particularly in terms of identifying new risk pools (both P&C and L&H), emerging trends of (re) insurance market featuring new technologies and applications
- Excellent leadership skills: ability to motivate the team effectively, empower the team through effective delegation, and handle tensions
- Outstanding interpersonal skills: Strong in stakeholder management, project management and problem-solving
- A strong communicator who is able to break down, communicate and visualize often sophisticated concepts in an easy and digestible way.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; Mandarin and other Asian languages is a plus
- Proficiency in statistical and quantitative analysis
- Mature, highly motivated with a can-do attitude, client focused, results oriented, dedication to continuously drive efficiency, productivity and quality assurance, and willingness to challenge and improve the status quo
- Ability and passion to work in a global and multicultural environment
- Very agile, forward-thinking and curious personality with the ability to work under tight timelines
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of our 15,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?