China Equity Team Analyst
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
We are currently seeking to recruit an experienced investment professional to join one of our established Equity Portfolio Management teams. This team manages investments in Chinese equities including both China focused strategies as well as broader Emerging Markets strategies. The team's investment philosophy is based on investing over the long term in high quality companies with strong organic growth and good governance standards which are under-appreciated by the market. This analyst will focus on identifying quality business across the greater China equity markets using a fundamentally driven and deeply analytical approach. We believe a deep understanding of the local markets will be key, along with fluent Mandarin (written and spoken), as well as formative experience in investing in Chinese companies. The successful candidate will partner with the Portfolio Manager on all aspects of the investment and commercial process. Essential Skills
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Investment acumen and passion - The investor will have a deep understanding of China equity market, identify mispricing and valuation discrepancies, make investment recommendations, and communicate his/her findings to China Equity portfolio management teams as well as emerging markets and global equity PMs, who manage portfolios on behalf of our clients. The ideal candidate will understand the Chinese equity market structure and be passionate about investing with a demonstrated track record of successful stock recommendations. S/he must exhibit a fundamental, research oriented, bottom up approach, with the ability to incorporate top down perspectives such as sector and macro views. Furthermore, the investor will be able to consider those ideas through a highly analytical and detailed approach within the context of overall portfolio philosophy and process.
- Superior collaboration and influencing skills - The successful candidate will enjoy being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of company coverage, idea generation and potentially portfolio construction and risk management. S/he will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues and externally with company management teams. The ability to take risk and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; s/he must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action oriented opinions clearly and with conviction and contribute to an open investment dialogue is important.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. S/he will have both a local and global perspective as well as a creative approach for thinking about innovation and the continuing evolution of Chinese and global capital markets.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in an investment analyst or portfolio manager role with some demonstrated success;
- Extensive experience in Chinese equities and/or Asian equities with a strong track record of generating alpha
- Written and spoken business Mandarin skills
- Philosophical alignment with the team's approach;
- Ability to approach research and portfolio management from a top down and bottom up perspective;
- Independence of thought and curiosity about the world;
- Self-awareness and self-confidence to be comfortable "being wrong;"
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a collaborative, team-based, results-oriented environment; and
- Strong academic credentials, MBA/CFA preferred.
China Equity Team Analyst LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .