Compliance Advisor – Digital & Innovation, COO Compliance Department
- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- CDI, Plein-temps
- Societe Generale
- 17 août 18 2018-08-17
Compliance Advisor – Digital & Innovation, COO Compliance Department
Société Générale Group is one of the leading financial services groups in Europe. Société Générale is serving 31 million customers in 67 countries on a worldwide basis. Based on a diversified and integrated banking model, the Group combines financial solidity and a strategy of sustainable growth. Our objective: to be the leading relationship-focused bank, a reference in its markets, close to its clients and chosen for the quality and commitment of its teams.
The Asia Business Unit division encompasses activities conducted in the Asia-Pacific region, where Société Générale has a presence of 2,500 employees in 12 different countries, with regional headquarters in Hong Kong. The Asia BU business is focused on Corporate & Investment Banking: Global Markets, Global Financing, and Global Transaction Banking.
The Asia-Pacific Compliance division ("CPLE/ASI") is the Compliance arm of the Asia BU. It has a local presence in Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan (110+ staff in total). Our primary focus is to support CIB-type of activities (global capital markets & global structured finance) across the region.
Hong Kong is the regional Compliance hub. The Hong Kong Compliance team is approx. 50+ staff and split into various areas of expertise:
• Advisory dedicated to Capital Markets Business Lines
• Advisory dedicated to Global Investment Banking Business Lines, and Control Room
• Advisory dedicated to Support Functions
• Capital Markets Surveillance
• 2nd Level Controls and Risk Assessment
• Financial Crime Unit
• Regulatory Oversight
• Chief Operating Officer (COO)
The candidate will be a member of the Hong Kong COO team. Th COO team is a transversal team that manages several matters for Compliance department in the region: strategic planning, operational risk management, "compliance academy" (professional development of Compliance staff), Regulatory projects, Compliance Digital Projects & Transformation (the automation of Compliance own processes & services), and Compliance Advisory on Digital & Innovation matters (this role).
The candidate will be reporting to the Compliance Regional COO (Chief Operating Officer) for Asia-Pacific, based in Hong Kong.
The candidate will focus on the topics that most consider as the wave of the future for the banking industry. Indeed, as the digitalization of all the traditional banking activities is accelerating and as regulators scrutinize the emerging risks from new technologies, compliance advisory on digital matters is on the rise.
The candidate will be responsible for Advising businesses and support functions on how to comply with relevant rules & regulations when they deploy innovative and digital solutions. This is a regional role.
As an illustration, "innovative & digital solutions" recently included: deployment of our digital global markets platform across the region (for research distribution, execution and post trade services), and the deployment of various initiatives leveraging data lake technology.
As the digital solutions usually tend to be distributed across various locations, the candidate will leverage on the expertise of the compliance officers in relevant locations (experts on their local regulations) as well as on the expertise of the other compliance advisors (dedicated to certain businesses or support functions, and specialists on the rules & regulations that apply to the businesses or function they advise)
The candidate will coordinate the effort for Asia Compliance in order to provide a consolidated and documented compliance advise, and validate the launch of digital initiatives on behalf of Compliance in the region.
Your main responsibilities:
• Develop & maintain a structured approach to Compliance Advisory on Digital Matters
- Develop a standard advisory analysis grid
- Include the main regulatory considerations: Licensing, E-Banking, etc. and potential data restrictions: banking secrecy, Chinese wall, Fire Wall, personal data protection, outsourcing etc.
- Maintain the advisory grid as considerations may evolve
- Socialize the grid with relevant stakeholders
• Provide compliance advice on digital matters
- Assess the feasibility and potential restrictions that apply to initiatives contemplated by businesses using the analysis grid, in coordination with relevant experts
- Provide practical guidelines to business on how to comply with applicable rules and regulations on their key processes e.g. marketing and promotion, technical & functional support, content development etc.
- Validate the launch of initiatives on behalf of Compliance Asia, with a clear and documented decision
- Document and archive the compliance decisions for audit trail, as well as ensuring consistency in the decisions made in the long run
• Coordinate the interactions with regulators
- In cases where regulatory interaction is required (e.g. notification to a regulator, or validation from a regulator), coordinate the effort with relevant business teams and compliance teams
- In cases of regulatory inquiry (e.g. survey from regulator on our digital services), assist the relevant compliance teams to answer promptly and accurately to their regulator
• Represent Compliance in relevant forums
- Participate to the industry forums that are relevant to the matter
- Participate actively to the consultation papers that are relevant to the matter
- Take an active role in the internal forums on Digital & Innovation
• Update relevant parties on regulatory changes
- Leverage our internal regulatory watch process to detect new regulations that are applicable and update the relevant parties so that prompt actions are taken
• Socialize the Compliance "DOs & DON'Ts" on digital matters
- Educate or train the relevant stakeholders from business, support functions and compliance on how to approach digital matters to comply
- Work with relevant business and support function to publish the compliance approvals in a manner that is convenient & clear for the relevant stakeholders to follow
• Communicate on the progress and upcoming developments
- Regular reporting to regional Compliance management on the progress, escalation when required
- Regular interactions with central teams (based in Paris) in charge of Compliance Advisory on digital matters
Being reasonably small, the entire COO office operates as a group with an entrepreneurship mindset. The successful candidate will get opportunities to bring ideas and value in contributing to other topics that are relevant to his/her skills, aspirations and development plans.
This challenging role will provide the successful candidate with a unique opportunity to apprehend the various businesses of a top-tier investment bank and will be evolving at the forefront of regulatory developments. The position will involve constant interaction with the business lines, support functions and various compliance teams
• Sound knowledge and understanding of recent technologies
• Knowledge of the CIB environment (activities & processes)
• Presentation and communication skills; ability to engage with people from various backgrounds (business lines, support functions, compliance officers etc. all across the APAC region), ability to write business documentation and communication material.
• Analytical Thinking and Attention to detail
• Ability to, identify priorities and address difficult situations with autonomy
• Pro-activity and solution-oriented, proposition-making mindset
• Negotiation and Leadership skills
• Curiosity and critical sense
• Embracing change and ability to leverage new technologies
• Good oral and written communication
• Good interpersonal skills
• 7+ years of professional experience
• Previous experience in Compliance, Business or Support function in an investment bank or consultancy firm
• Previous experience in a role with authority to make decision (e.g. manager role or advisory role)
• Previous experience in taking an active role in dealing with technology matters
• Previous experience in taking an active role in dealing with regulatory matters
• Experience working in International, Multi-cultural organization
• Previous experience in Compliance department
• Fluent in English
• MSc in Business, Finance or other relevant field