BitMEX is seeking a Legal Counsel (Contract) who will be responsible for providing legal transactional and advisory counsel of the highest calibre to support the activities and growth of small-but-growing Legal team at the centre of a highly successful, dynamic, ambitious, and rapidly developing global business, in the context of a challenging and evolving business and regulatory landscape.
Based in Hong Kong and reporting to the Global Group General Counsel, you will be a part of a growing global Legal team that has a flat structure and a significant degree of organisational visibility and impact. The role will primarily involve: the management, protection and growth of the company’s Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio; the provision of legal support to the company’s HR function; and the drafting and negotiation of general commercial contracts and information technology (IT) agreements. You will work on a variety of matters such as: multi-national trade mark applications; cross-border copyright, domain name and trade mark disputes; contentious and non-contentious employment matters; and contracts for key internal systems and strategic projects. There will also be the opportunity to get involved in the work of the wider legal team, according to the team’s work load and the individual’s aptitude and appetite. This role will be a 6 month contract.
- Be a first-class team player – able to operate individually but enthusiastic about getting involved wherever the Legal team or business needs your support.
- Be highly resilient and flexible with an ability to assimilate information – as well as be curious enough to learn about new businesses and operations in this dynamic young industry.
- Have the ability to undertake an extensive and varied portfolio of legal work in a high paced global environment, managing and fulfilling competing priorities for multiple and diverse globally located internal and external client constituencies at all levels of the business.
- Have excellent critical, analytical, drafting, and self-organisational skills.
- Communicate orally and in writing in a highly articulate, professional, thoughtful and diligent manner, in a way that is relevant and effective.
- Act at all times with great integrity, authenticity, good judgment and discretion, while observing and demonstrating the group’s core values.
- Be willing and able to assume a high level of responsibility, working in a genuinely transparent, accountable, collegiate, cooperative and collaborative way.
- Be highly personable and adept at building rapport at all levels of the business in order to create effective and robust partnerships that inspire trust, credibility, and confidence, and allow all of the Legal team to exercise constructive influence.
- Management, protection and growth of the Company’s IP portfolio, including both contentious and non-contentious matters, across the whole breadth of a tech-focused and innovative young business, with a global online profile.
- A key aspect of this role will be the management of the group’s IP vendors – external counsel and other third parties that specialise in various aspects of IP management.
- Negotiating the group’s contracts for various IT applications, including software providers of all stripes, to support development of the existing product offering as well as a range of new project initiatives.
- Commercial contracts:
- Management of the group’s other commercial contracts, including outsourcing agreements, professional services agreements, engagement letters, research contracts and marketing agreements.
- Providing support to the HR function on contentious and non-contentious HR matters such as drafting employment contracts and associated policy documentation.
- Developing the group’s Legal estate, such as creating template contracts and knowledge banks.
- Assisting the wider Legal team with other aspects of the team’s workload according to need and balance.
The team (as well as the wider business) is young and growing fast, so there is plenty of opportunity for the right candidate to develop his or her career in any number of exciting directions.
- 6+ years of post-qualification experience, including experience with a top tier international law firm and/or in-house at an industry-leading organisation (with a preference for Finance, Technology and multi-national Consumer Retail brands).
- HK based.
- Cross-border experience managing legal and/or regulatory projects.
- Extensive experience working on IP and IT matters, as well as general commercial contracts and providing legal support on HR matters.
- Demonstrable experience of managing a team as well as operating independently.