LIFE AT IMC AS DATA SERVICES SOFTWARE ENGINEER WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
IMC is a leading global market maker, using algorithmic trading and advanced technology to buy and sell securities on multiple trading venues worldwide. We provide liquidity to the financial markets, driving efficiencies for buyers and sellers.
Founded in 1989, we are an ambitious, innovative company and identified early on the importance technology would play in the fast-paced evolution of trading. This entrepreneurial spirit still drives us today and can be found in all of our offices around the world. OUR TEAM
We now operate globally from offices in Europe, the US and Asia Pacific. Our employees work closely together in multidisciplinary teams, making our success possible. Technology
- At IMC, technology is not a department, it is at the heart of everything we do. Our technologists push the limits of possibility, and then look beyond. In our fast-paced environment, short feedback loops mean projects worked on in the morning can enter production the next day. Trading
- Although our traders come from many backgrounds they all have one thing in common: they are at their best solving complex problems. Their insight into global events, market shifts and pricing ensure we are trading in the right place, at the right time. Business Support
- Around the world, IMC's business support teams are essential for sustaining our success. In our dynamic environment, we have many exciting challenges and multidisciplinary opportunities to shape our operations and make a real impact. OUR CULTURE
Our employees are our greatest asset so we give them lots of responsibility and the support they need to make a difference. Our flat structure fosters a culture of openness and collaboration, encouraging the sharing of ideas and knowledge. It makes no difference if you have been with us for three days or three years, the best idea wins.
While we work hard, we also have a lot of fun; whether solving complex challenges or in team building, leisure and sporting activities. IMC also enables its employees to contribute towards a better society through our foundation. WHAT YOU'LL DO AS A DATA SERVICES ENGINEER
At IMC, technology is not a department; it's at the heart of everything we do. Developed in house, our innovative software makes millions of trading decisions daily, and we win by making better and faster decisions than our competition.
Our Amsterdam Data Services team supports a wide variety of tools for ingress, storage, management and use of all the data generated by our trading activities each day. Data informs all of our trading decisions.
Our responsibilities every day are three-fold.
- Software engineering: we create, maintain and run a whole suite of data services and libraries built in-house; we are constantly improving these and creating new ones where needed.
- Operational excellence: we make sure that our data systems are running smoothly, so that all the data is ingested continuously, persisted reliably and used efficiently.
- User consultancy: we educate all users of data at IMC, by organizing workshops and trainings, working together on projects directly with traders, quants and engineers
Within a complex landscape of varying systems and technologies, you'll be constantly challenged to consider trade-offs between latency, throughput, simplicity, scalability and maintainability. OUR TECHNOLOGY STACK
Our tech stack includes an ever-evolving range of systems and technologies, and our engineers have the freedom to choose the best solution for the problem at hand. If a new technology has the potential to add value, we'll actively invest in exploring, adopting and developing it.
Our Data Services software engineers currently write and maintain code in Java
, deployed as Docker
images in Kubernetes
. Our data travels on Kafka
, is stored in HDFS
and accessed via Dremio
. WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
At IMC, no two projects or any two days are the same. You can expect a dynamic, fast-paced environment that delivers a steady stream of challenges. One of the most exciting aspects of the job is our quick feedback loop.
Our workforce is just as varied. IMCers are drawn from a broad range of nationalities and backgrounds; what they have in common is their deep technical expertise, extraordinary smarts and highly collaborative approach. We give people lots of responsibility and the support they need to make an impact from day one. As a software engineer, you'll have the chance to learn everything you need to know about financial markets - it's just one of the things that make this job more interesting than other tech roles.
Our flat structure and open, collaborative culture stimulate the sharing of ideas, knowledge and technology between our different teams and offices. WHAT WE OFFER
We hire from the top 10% of the global tech community and we reward accordingly. Beyond this, we provide our software engineers an extensive range of training and personal development opportunities, as well as the chance to work with the latest technologies.
We offer a vibrant office environment, a free catered breakfast and lunch and a ready supply of fresh fruit, snacks and drinks. Our office is a great place to work from, but so is your home. That's why we moved to a flexible hybrid model that allows for both. IMCers are given tools to do their job in comfort, no matter where they work from.
While we work hard, we also have a lot of fun. As part of the IMC family, you'll get to enjoy our annual company trip and numerous social events throughout the year, as well as Friday drinks at our in-house bar. There will also be regular opportunities to give back to society through our charity foundations. OUR HIRING PROCESS
To set you up for success, you can find our hiring process including tips on applying and interviewing with us on our website . Now it's up to you! Apply today to start an amazing journey with IMC.