Provide inputs to the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Audit in development of the Group Operations Audit universe entailing identification of the auditable entities for inclusion in the annual domestic audit plan to be submitted by the Chief Internal Auditor. Further, you will be responsible for ensuring timely implementation and completion/execution of the approved annual audit plan pertaining to your area and conduct of individual audit assignments in line with applicable best practices, including but not limited to the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (SPPIA), Basel Committee recommendations and guidelines as applicable.
Position: Head of Operations Audit
Department: Operations Audit Unit – Operations & Retail Banking Audit Section – Domestic Audit Department – Group Internal Audit Division
Location: Doha, Qatar - Relocation and visa provided by the bank
About us: We are the largest Financial Services firm in the MENA region with international offices across Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
To provide inputs to the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Audit in development of the Group Operations Audit universe entailing identification of the auditable entities for inclusion in the annual domestic audit plan to be submitted by the Chief Internal Auditor Domestic to the Group Chief Audit Executive (GCAE) for review. Further, you will be responsible for ensuring timely implementation and completion/execution of the approved annual audit plan pertaining to your area and conduct of individual audit assignments in line with applicable best practices, including but not limited to the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (SPPIA), Basel Committee recommendations and guidelines as applicable.
You will also render internal audit advisory services to the individual departments of Operations Divisions, as and when required in coordination with the superiors.
The above role will also extend to the secondary responsibilities assigned to the Operations & Retail Banking Audit team in terms of specific activities/ functions/departments to be audited, in addition to the primary responsibility with respect to the Operations Audit activities/ functions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit in adding value to the functions comprising Operations Divisions (and the other functions/ activities assigned as mentioned above) by identifying instances/risks that entail probable financial loss or regulatory non-compliance that could result in monetary penalties/reputation damage through the audit process.
- Assist the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit in identifying potential cost saving opportunities by highlighting process inefficiencies.
- Assist the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit in ensuring adequate coverage of the Operations activities/ functions (and the other functions/activities assigned as mentioned above) in the annual audit plan to provide assurance to the stakeholders such as relevant auditee management, executive management, Group Board Audit & Compliance Committee on the adequacy and effectiveness of the internal controls in place within the respective units/areas and add value to improve the functioning of the various activities performed by the respective departments/units, as and where applicable.
- Provide timely feedback/ information to the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit and in his absence, to the Chief Internal Auditor Domestic on queries/ reports/other correspondence received by the GCAE from the external auditors, Qatar Central Bank (QCB) and other external regulators to enable the latter to respond to the same in a timely and efficient manner, which pertain to the incumbent’s area of responsibility.
- Assist the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit in managing the relationship with the management of Operations and Business lines and the various related divisional/departmental heads to obtain their inputs/concerns on the various functions/areas within the concerned divisions/departments including significant developments therein, which could have an impact on the annual audit plan.
- Provide input to annual audit plan (encompassing Operations) to the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit based on the impact of the risks on the goals, objectives and strategy of the Group with respect to Operations and the other areas assigned to the Retail Banking & Operations Audit team as part of their secondary responsibilities.
- Implement and execute the plan approved by the Group Board Audit & Compliance Committee and ensure completion of the same within the assigned period. Also responsible for submitting status reports on the various assignments in progress to the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit explaining the reasons for the delay in completion of individual assignments, if any.
- Develop and implement appropriate risk assessment methodology/parameters and criteria in consultation with the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit to facilitate evaluation of the departments/ units/ processes, systems and related procedures based on the risk involved in the referenced function/activity/area.
- Lead and oversee on day-to-day basis, the individual assignments comprising the approved plan to ensure that these are being conducted in accordance with the best practices for internal auditing, including but not limited to SPPIA recommendations/ guidelines, applicable standards, recommendations and guidelines by the Basel Committee.
- Regular oversight of the team’s review of the relevant Operations portfolio of the Bank and the adequacy of the risk management processes in place to determine the quality of management of the risk exposures.
- Ensure that the audit planning, fieldwork and reporting stages are conducted in consonance with the procedures/guidelines contained in the internal audit Policy & Procedures manual, including but not limited to communications to relevant auditee management on audit commencement, presentation of draft reports to auditee management and obtaining their responses and holding of closing meetings.
- Conduct special audits and investigations of problem areas or for certain specific reasons, as and when directed by his superiors.
- Perform first level review of all internal audit and other special assignment/ investigation reports and subsequent submission of the same to the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit.
- Monitor post-audit follow-up of audit reports and to ensure compliance with recommendations, if required.
- Responsible for the utilization of the appropriate audit software procured by Group Internal Audit by all personnel reporting to the incumbent.
- Assist the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit in work load distribution and establishing a detailed budget for each phase of the audit/assignment.
- Recommend temporary staff allocations for audits of Operations to the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit.
- Submit performance appraisals on timely basis as per the laid down policy in this regard to the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit.
- Act as a back-up for the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit when the referenced person is on leave.
- Responsible for imparting training/guidance to trainees in the Group Internal Audit Division.
- Provision of inputs to the Principal Specialist Operations & Retail Banking Audit regarding staff training needs and ensure these are reflected in the Division’s training plans.
- Ensure provision of relevant guidance, direction and training to subordinates, to develop and enhance their skills and enable them to shoulder greater responsibilities in future.
- Unrestricted access to all information, records, personnel and property in Qatar and overseas (as and when applicable) that is required for the effective discharge of the incumbent’s responsibilities.
- Maintain utmost confidentiality with respect to the information obtained from auditee management during the course of the audit.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor degree in finance, accounting, economics, banking or other related subjects.
- Professional qualifications such as CIA/CBA/CMA/CPA/CA/ACCA etc.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in a major bank or leading audit firm with specific banking operations and retail banking audit knowledge out of which 5 years in a managerial role.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic is essential.
- Adequate legal and documentation background.
- Knowledge of Basel Committee best practices pertaining to the area of responsibility.
- Proficiency in risk concepts, banking operations/systems and pertinent regulatory requirements.
- Well-developed analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to motivate and lead subordinates.
- Self-motivated, eye for detail.
- Ability to persuade others.
- Flexible team player and able to work and deliver under pressure.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite Computer Assisted Audit Techniques (CAATs) viz. Audit Command Language (ACL).
- Knowledge of applicable International Accounting Standards and related pronouncements.