Employee Relations Manager
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
ER is responsible for developing and implementing the country Employee Relations (ER) strategy, with a view to creating a fair, respectful, diverse and high performing culture that enables employees to contribute their very best to the business.
The ER Specialists inter-act with HR Relationship Managers and other HR and Line Management stakeholders, to provide consultation and guidance on managing ER issues concerning employment conditions, discipline, grievances, performance improvement and organisational re-structuring, with a view towards ensuring that we live up to our promise of fair treatment to employees while safeguarding the Banks interests.
ER is responsible for the Bank's relationship with unions. The desired outcomes are to have cooperative and harmonious relationships with the unions while preserving the Banks ability to operate effectively and to maintain a position on Collective Bargaining terms that are within the overall industry norms.
The Role Responsibilities
The ER manager reports to the Head Employee Relations.
The ER Manager is primarily responsible for implementing the Bank's ER policies and procedures and providing support, guidance to HRRMs and Line Managers on employee issues regarding in the following areas:
- Disciplinary actions
- Performance Improvement
- Redundancy Terminations
- Managing Risk associated with ER issues
Candidate is also responsible for
- Developing and delivering ER training to HRRMs and Line Managers
- Providing advice on local labour legislation and industrial practices.
- Collective Bargaining and union relationships
- Ensuring that the Bank's policies and practices comply with Group and country labour legislation, standards and practices .
- Representing the Bank in the appropriate national bodies that have an impact on ER, example Ministry of Manpower, Singapore National Employers' Federation, Tafep, Bank unions and the NTUC.
- Leading on projects and programs associated with managing ER risks
The primary geographical scope is Singapore, with the expectation that the job holder supports the Group, its subsidiaries, related and associate companies. Our Ideal Candidate Knowledge
- Education - University Degree in any discipline. Inclusion of Human Respource as a course of study would be an advantage but not essential.
- Experience in a HR Department, or in HR/Manpower/Labour related environment such as Ministry of Manpower or NTUC. Work experience as HR Business Partner would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of Singapore employment law and industrial practices
- Experience in managing trade union relationships and knowledge of the processes around collective bargaining, preparing and certifying collective agreements.
- Knowledge of the local social, economic and political environment and future trends
- Strong influencing, mediation, problem solving skills
- Good analytical skills and ability to understand and present data coherently
- Forms effective relationships with key Stakeholders
- Ability to stand up for what is right, in the face of adversity
- Excellent communication : clear oral and written skills; effective questioning and active listening
- Strong facilitation skills at an individual and team levels
- Courage to challenge, stand up for what is right and high integrity
- Proactive, takes the initiative and effectively deals with resistance
- Strong team orientation, working effectively in virtual International teams
- Enjoys challenges and open to Continuously Improving the way we work
- Adaptable to working with people in a highly diversified organization.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.