Principal Research Analyst, Dry Bulk Shipping
Principal Research Analyst - Dry Bulk Shipping IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO)
is a world leader in critical information, analytics and solutions for the major industries and markets that drive economies worldwide. The company delivers next-generation information, analytics and solutions to customers in business, finance and government, improving their operational efficiency and providing deep insights that lead to well-informed, confident decisions. IHS Markit has more than 50,000 key business and government customers, including 80 percent of the Fortune Global 500 and the world's leading financial institutions. Headquartered in London, IHS Markit is committed to sustainable, profitable growth. Role Summary:
Dry Bulk Principal Research Analyst will be a key role within the Maritime & Trade business line responsible for developing and maintaining market intelligence and research flow for IHS Markit's Freight and Commodity analytics product. In this role, she/he will be partnering closely with Lead Shipping Analyst, Data Science and Product Management teams. The key focus will be providing insights, analysis, analytical commentary, and interpretation of current and future trends in dry bulk commodities with core on agricultural trade flows as well as freight markets based on data-driven analytics and models. Key Responsibilities:
- Play a key role in developing and maintaining market intelligence and research flow for IHS Markit's Freight and Commodity analytics product.
- Create market scenarios and actionable insights for trade flow, specifically Agricultural commodities including soybean, corn, wheat, and sugar etc.
- Drive visibility for IHS Markit clients into the dynamics of physical trade in dry bulk commodity and freight markets.
- Provide analysis, analytical commentary, and interpretation of current and future trends in dry bulk commodities & freight markets.
- Partnering closely with Lead Shipping Analyst in Singapore, analyst teams around the world, Data Science team, and Product Management teams.
- Perform tasks and responsibilities as assigned based on priorities for team to meet/exceed requirements.
- Support new business development by performing ad hoc analysis tasks.
- Conduct original research and data mining to identify interesting, potentially marketable insights.
- Communicate insights to clients through published notes, presentations, calls, emails and meetings with clients and prospects.
- Closely work with sales teams to market our products.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in the freight and commodity markets, with an emphasis on the dry bulk market, specifically for grain trade. The role will require expert level understanding of market structure and trade flow of dry bulk commodities.
- Excellent numeracy/written skills and comfortable working with large data sets from unstructured sources.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to establish and maintain strong professional relationships.
- Experience in physical and paper (FFA) trading will be beneficial.
- Expert knowledge of dry bulk commodity market analysis and freight demand and supply drivers based on strong understanding of macroeconomics.
- Able to work independently and collaboratively with global IHS Markit teams across different time zones whilst simultaneously carrying out independent tasks and activities.
- Technical/academic background in data analytics, machine learning and economic forecasting models will be beneficial.
- Highly skilled in Excel and PowerPoint. Experience in Tableau and Power BI will be beneficial. Knowledge of R or Python preferred.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience, in a relevant subject.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.