UI/UX Engineer - Digital Solutions
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base. Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Digital Solutions (Technology Services) team is looking for a fulltime UI/UX Engineer.
Co-located with one of our product feature teams, you enjoy the idea of being based in Singapore.
Each day, you'll be helping us understand, define, design, engineer, integrate, test, deploy and improve the best parts of our home-grown digital ecosystem to delight our human or robot consumers.
You're going to help us automate fundamental components with the broader bank, using open-source technology as a base, and integrate them with the first -class development tool chain being delivered by your colleagues as part of the bank's transformation to a fully digital-native enterprise. Most importantly you're going to work with our technology and business clients to make sure we don't disappear into an ivory tower and deliver unusable product.
The most important characteristic we're after is that you are passionate UX/UI engineer that places extreme importance on aesthetics and usability - or however you self-identify your passion for building reusable UI components that will provide real commercial results as well as helping to generate a meaningful and impactful user experience
You don't have to know everything, but you do have to have the potential to learn anything quickly - and pragmatically you should know a lot about some (not all) of the following disciplines
You understand how to build, test, and deploy web application following best practices and industry standards
You know how to extend that capability to the rest of the developer community through development toolkit /platform
- Web Technology - API: REST, GraphQL, Webhook, Streaming, Network protocols: TCP/IP, HTTP/2, WebSocket, RSocket, Data formats: HTML, JSON, XML, Security: SSL/TLS, JWT, Single Sign On, OWASP
You know how important it is to use the right technology stack, which might not always be the shiniest, to get the job done.
You understand engineering terms and why they are important to speak about during product delivery.
- Mobile Application Development: Hybrid: Progressive Web Application, PhoneGap/Cordova, Native: React Native, Flutter, Objective-C, Swift, Java, Kotlin -
You know how to effectively use mobile platform and technology to deliver consistent user experience to various type of user devices.
You're the kind of person that enjoys puzzles, logic problems and gains satisfaction from solving problems, likes communicating what you've discovered to your colleagues and clients in plain English, rather than encrypted acronyms, and working with your colleagues in co-located high-performance teams.
You'll be excited at being at the inception of a high-performance environment, and you'll enjoy being pushed technically and organizationally to do things 'the right way' as part of a world class brand.
- Ultimately, if you're the kind of person that
- Understands the importance that user interface plays in user-centric design and product delivery
- understand and relishes the term "this seems like an intractable UX problem"
- loves to analyse and provide insight through data
- enjoys getting their hands dirty and solving complex UX/UI problems
- passion for improving existing practices so that they can be more robust
- likes to propose, evaluate, and introduce new ways of working or technologies that will enable better user experience in the future
- can be pragmatic and commercial, but never settles for mediocrity
- thinks that 'full stack' is only 'half the stack'
- enjoys the idea of building a highly agile developer and engineering culture together with your clients and colleagues
… then hopefully you're going to enjoy yourself in this group.
If you're good at being able to be effective in large enterprises, that will definitely be a strong plus, Standard Chartered is a large global financial services company, and communicating effectively across cultural and language barriers is a highly useful skill. Qualifications and Skills Required
- Strong communicator with experience in agile working environment.
- Experienced developer who has created and developed UI/UX frameworks and components in agile development teams.
- Experienced front-end developer that has extensive experience on design led development of user centred products.
- Strong technologist who keeps up to date with technology
- Motivated to do hands-on development and peer reviews
- Self-starter capable of identifying opportunities and delivering solutions on their own
- Working knowledge of API development standards
- Working knowledge of implementing UI/UX components for re-use in an SDK provided to other developers.
- Strong knowledge of one or more popular open source frameworks such as Angular or React.
- Strong knowledge of one or more style frameworks such as bootstrap, foundation, or boilerplate.
- Undergraduate level qualification with bachelor's in engineering or Computer Science
- Strong English communication skills
- Full-stack development experience
- Mobile development experience
- Breadth of technical knowledge - operating systems, networking, distributed computing, cloud as well as development tools
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages.