Junior Data Engineer
The Business Join us in Edinburgh as a Junior Data Engineer
What you'll do
- This role will see you contributing to Mimo, a new start-up mobile application that is being developed by NatWest for launch into the UK and Irish markets
- Mimo consolidates holistic customer information onto a cloud based data platform, and then surfaces insights to help customers save time and money, and gain peace of mind that their life is in order
- The app has been operating as a pilot since 2018, and we're now looking for a Data Engineer to undertake data sourcing, data wrangling and feature engineering tasks
- You'll be placed within our Customer Insights, Data Innovation, Strategic Modelling & AI, or Data Engineering team
As a data engineer, you'll be supporting data scientists, and carrying out data sourcing, data wrangling and feature engineering tasks. You'll be pairing up with other analysts to deliver clean and consistent data pipelines for analytical teams using agile and extreme programming delivery methods.
Your remit will cover the extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources, and working with unstructured datasets you'll develop a scalable data architecture.
You'll also be responsible for:
The skills you'll need
- Designing and developing technical solutions, keeping the customer experience at the forefront of your actions
- Proactively driving our core data infrastructure, building ETL processes and undertaking automated code-quality assessments
- Bug fixing and performance analysis
- Developing knowledge of RBS data structures and metrics, advocating for changes where needed for product development
- Identifying new methods, tools, techniques and opportunities
- Managing day-to-day activities within risk appetite
- Displaying risk practices and behaviours consistent with a risk culture where risk is simply part of the way we work and think
We're looking for someone qualified to BSc or equivalent in Computer Science or Software Engineering, with familiarity with Hadoop and HiveQL. You'll have expert programming and data engineering skills, and experience with data wrangling and feature engineering for machine learning applications. You'll also have strong SQL skills and extensive knowledge of RDBMS technologies.
Along with an understanding of relational database theory and data modelling, you'll have an in-depth understanding of large scale data sets, including both structured and unstructured data:
You'll also demonstrate:
How we'll reward you
- Experience with Unix/Linux scripting
- Experience with statistical software covering Python, Spark, Pandas and Scala, database languages such as SQL, big data technologies such as Hadoop, and Spark, and cloud environments covering AWS, Azure and GCP
- The motivation and willingness to learn new techniques
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer. Inclusion
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .