We’re a FTSE 100 business listed on the London Stock Exchange, creating a dynamic Finance function in our new Edinburgh office (South Gyle). With ambitious growth plans, there has never been a better time to join our business. We’re actively recruiting during the COVID-19 pandemic and are fully equipped to recruit and on-board new employees remotely.
M&G Plc is creating a unified Finance function to help manage the merger of the two businesses and the de-merger from the Prudential Group; creating a dynamic and well controlled Finance function for the future.
M&G Plc is required to produce consolidated IFRS financial statements and Group Solvency 2 reporting. The Senior Financial Reporting Accountant is responsible for contributing to the continued development of the Group accounting policies and guidance and provision of advice to the business on IFRS accounting and S2 reporting treatment for initiatives such as new products and transactions.
The Group is currently implementing IFRS 17, new insurance accounting standard, and undertaking a Finance Transformation programme which is considering the end to end financial reporting processes. These projects combined with the recent demerger from Prudential plc make this an exciting opportunity for an accountant who enjoys complex problem solving to be involved in establishing the basis for financial reporting for a new listed group.
Key Responsibilities for this role:
- Provide advice on the treatment under IFRS and Solvency 2 reporting for proposed initiatives including new products and transactions
- Analyse the impact of new accounting standards on the Group results and provide technical accounting support to the implementation
- Production of IFRS and Solvency 2 reporting technical analyses as directed by the Group Technical Accounting Manager
- Support the preparation of the Group IFRS financial statements, including ownership of a number of notes to the accounts, produced to auditable standards
- Ensure sections of the Group Accounting Manual and associated Group accounting policies allocated to the role holder are maintained and communicated across M&G Plc's finance effectively
- Support the delivery of initiatives required as part of the demerger project Finance Transformation programme to ensure Group reporting processes meet all reporting and control requirements of a newly listed plc
- Liaise with the external auditors on IFRS and Solvency 2 reporting technical matters ensuring a timely resolution is reached
- Maintain effective working relationships with other teams in M&G Plc Finance ensuring that Group technical accounting needs are communicated, understood and met
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and take personal accountability to maintain and enhance controls you are responsible for to support improvement of the overall control environment, customer outcomes and a reduction in M&G Prudential’s operational risk
Key Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
You will need:
- To be a Qualified Accountant with some post qualification experience
- A strong knowledge of IFRS and Solvency 2 reporting requirements
- Detailed knowledge of financial reporting regulatory requirements and legislatory frameworks
- Experience of dealing with complex transactions and associated accounting
- Strong knowledge of industry trends, best practice and developments, good networks / links with external bodies and individuals in the same field
- Experience of insurance accounting, including requirements of UKGAAP and IFRS
- The ability to distil complex ideas, problems or requirements into simple, effective plans and solutions
Recruiter: Emma Pryde
Work Level: Manager or Expert