Software Development Engineer
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a set of audience segments to help advertisers plan media, gain insights about customer behaviors, create targeting strategies, and more. Our products form the core of our display advertising business. We ensure that billions of ads served are relevant to our customers. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
We are looking for outstanding candidates to join us as full-time Software Development Engineers. Successful candidates will have solved complex and broad business problems with simple and straightforward solutions, applying appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices, building solutions that scaled and performed. You will also have a focus on the customer experience, great teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
You will work as part of an Agile team at our development centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, launching and growing new initiatives for Amazon's global websites. Your team will own the business, technology and operations, giving you the responsibility and authority to ensure success. You will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to software development across a variety of technologies. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you are selected, you have the opportunity to really make a difference to our business by inventing, enhancing and building world class websites and systems, delivering results, working on exciting and challenging projects. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or postgraduate study (in lieu of degree, relevant skills and equivalent experience)
• Experience with Algorithms, data-structures, efficiency, concurrency, performance optimization.
• Automated testing, refactoring, source control management, continuous integration.
• Strong analytical and excellent problem solving skills. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Processing big data using Spark
• Machine learning and other statistical analysis
• Cloud computing, large-scale and high-availability distributed architecture
• Experience providing technical leadership
• Experience of mentoring other engineers
This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career with one of the world's leading online retailers, work in a unique environment, and be part of a passionate and international team to work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and a successful background screening check. This check will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy and procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.