Java Software Engineer
CME Group is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. We're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.
To learn more about what a career at CME Group can offer you, visit us at www.wherefuturesaremade.com . Role
The selected candidate will join the CME Engineering and Execution team in Belfast as a Software Engineer, initially in the Trade Execution Team. This is a very exciting time to join an autonomous and growing team. You will be able to help deliver a new high profile and mission critical project by working on CME's Flagship trading application, Globex.
The Software Engineer is responsible for software development delivery that drives and advances CME's electronic trading platform. This individual is responsible for delivery into systems that must achieve a unique blend of ultra-low latency performance, the capacity to seamlessly facilitate the busiest trading days in the world economy, and rock-solid reliability and integrity, all while undergoing rapid release cycles. Achieving these goals will require an understanding of the underlying technology, the development, testing, and deployment life-cycle of the applications. The candidate must be able to solve problem creatively, communicate effectively and meet commitments.
The wider Engineering & Execution team develop a variety of trading and post-trade solutions, supporting our exchange and clearing business. Internal mobility and flexibility are a key part to our agile approach to technology delivery. The successful candidate, throughout their career, will form a key part in driving our success across technology, and will find opportunities to work in a variety of projects and technologies, beyond their initial team and specialism. Principal Accountabilities
- Applies strong knowledge of Java language, DBMS and middle-ware technologies in designing and developing key services.
- Participates in code reviews, proactively identifying and mitigating potential issues and defects.
- Participates in preliminary story review, providing feedback and input on both work effort estimation as well as architecture/design improvements.
- Collaborates with Team Lead and Analysts to decompose high-level requirements into independent stories and sub-tasks.
- Drives continuous improvement efforts by identifying and championing practical means of reducing time to market while maintaining high quality products (i.e. - process improvements/automation opportunities).
- Embraces and enforces CME Group SDLC and information security standards.
- Bachelor's degree (with honours) or equivalent/better strongly preferred, but substantial relevant experience could substitute
- Significant experience, with track record of making significant contribution to both technical approach & deliveries
- Strong knowledge of core Java skills
- Experience working with multithreaded applications and core Java libraries
- Ability to write clean, bug-free code that is easy to understand, and easily maintainable
- Ability to write code which is able to satisfy low-latency & high-throughput requirements
- Experienced with Linux and shell scripting
- Experience with Middleware (e.g., Kafka, Tibco) & architecture
- Experience in developing and automating solutions directly related to Continuous Integration/ Continuous Delivery and infrastructure automation
- Experience with BDD methodologies & automated acceptance testing
- Experience of financial markets/exchange space and working with financial applications
- Knowledge of financial messaging protocols, and in particular FIX.
- Experience of low-latency Java programming
- Experience coding in a story-driven, agile environment.
- Experience using Confluence, JIRA, or other Atlassian tools.