Lead/Principal Java Engineer
Bringing Ingenuity to Life
We're an innovation and transformation consultancy that believes in the power of ingenuity to build a positive-human future in a technology-driven world. Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking with breakthrough-technologies to progress further, faster.
With a global network of FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 clients, we'll offer you unrivalled opportunities for growth and the freedom to excel. Combining strategies, technologies and innovation, we turn complexity to opportunity and deliver enduring results, enabling you to build a lasting career.
Isn't it time you joined us? Become part of the Team
Do you find yourself frustrated working with legacy tools or processes; constantly finding the need to innovate new and fit-for-purpose solutions? These are the problems our clients ask us to solve. You'll also need to be a pragmatist, to understand the design constraints of projects and get the job done.
As a developer you will operate within a pod, you and your teammates are responsible for successful delivery of the project release using an agile methodology. We put a lot of trust in you and your pod to meet deadlines, and to find the rhythm and ways of working that suits our clients. You get ownership and control of the processes for taking your code into live.
Pods are a small team with a mix of technology skills, we supplement development expertise with DevOps (we emphasise the Dev in DevOps) and Test Automation specialists. The pod works together in a collaborative environment and you might get the chance to develop your DevOps or automation expertise. We also need you to also contribute to developing the pod, perhaps by sharing your expertise in a tool or mentoring teammates. Your Accountability
As a Lead/Principal Java Engineer, you'll be leading a team or effort. We'll be looking at you to set direction and take responsibility for successfully achieving an outcome or deliverable. You may have a team of people to support, leading a development pod, or else you could be working across multiple pods, providing some centralised expertise necessary for a larger program of work.
- You'll have expertise in architecture and will feel comfortable leading higher-level architectural discussions
- Using your experience of the development process, it's likely you'll own the overall process across a pod, or multiple pods, building strong principles and putting robust methods and patterns in place
- You will be comfortable having conversations with the client regularly, being one of the main points of engagement between the client and the project
- Coaching and mentoring the team will be important in the role
- You'll play an active role in account management
Job Requirements What We're Looking for
- Your involvement in shaping bids (working with a bid team) will assist to create approaches or proposals, and you will add valuable contributions during presentations to clients in a formal selection process
Our clients have a vast array of technologies, but we aren't expecting you to have exposure to the whole toolkit!
- Sound experience in Java, but it's your understanding of data structures, algorithms, libraries and development methods that are most important:
- Java 8+
- MVC, JDBC and RESTful
- Knowledge of JVM, its limitations, weaknesses, and workarounds
- Building tools such as Ant, Maven and Gradle
- Using a range of technologies and libraries in the Java ecosystem
- Experience working in an agile development team, and applying strong development practices
- Experience in developing solutions in the cloud, using either AWS, Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or Microsoft Azure
- Experience in microservices architecture, including an understanding of containers and serverless implementation. This could include Kubernetes, Docker, OpenShift, AWS Lambda, Cloud Functions (GCP and Azure)
#LI-CE1 About PA Consulting Group
Benefits Package at PA:
- Private medical insurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- Company pension scheme
- Life and Income protection insurance
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn, childcare benefits)
- Voluntary benefits (dental, critical illness etc.)
PA is committed to building an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people can excel. We believe that greater diversity stimulates innovation, enabling us to fulfil our purpose of 'Bringing Ingenuity to Life', supporting the growth of our people, and delivering more enduring results for our clients.
We only recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.