See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture. Glasgow Profile:
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,500 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant. Department Profile:
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team Team Profile:
The Tax department ensures compliance with income and indirect tax filings, and monitors tax regulations and legislation. In addition, it calculates reports and discloses all of the Firm's tax-related expenses. The department also plans and manages the Firm's domestic and international tax strategies and advises Firm management and business units on business products, location and structure.
Recognizing that significant benefits could be achieved by creating a dedicated Tax function based in Glasgow, a team was established in 2011 to support global direct tax reporting, compliance and technical analysis needs. Primary Responsibilities:
This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly talented and motivated global team. An Associate is required to work in the Global Tax Risk Team, based in Glasgow, supporting the Tax Department’s risk and control framework. This role links all aspects of risk with high profile project deliverables across the Tax Department. In addition to recurring deliverables, the successful candidate will have the chance to utilise a wide range of skills and work on multiple initiatives.
The successful candidate will work closely with all levels of the Tax Department team providing independent assurance of the adequacy and effectiveness of risks, controls and processes.
Whilst based in Glasgow, this role has Global responsibilities which presents a unique opportunity to build networks across Tax and Finance.
- Assist with the preparation of the Tax Department’s annual Risk & Control Self-Assessment (“RCSA”) including gathering information from all regional tax teams, ensuring deliverables are met, managing the Firm RCSA data tools and producing dashboard reporting for senior management
- Assist in preparing the Tax teams for the annual SOX process, working closely with the Firm’s auditors and Finance Risk department
- Responsible for inputting all Operational Risk Incidents (ORI) into Firm systems
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual EUC data collection, review and refresh process across the Tax Department
- Assist with monitoring status of all Tax Department action plans with follow up when necessary to ensure timely completion
- Assist in preparation of the monthly risk and reporting metrics for Tax to Senior Management
- Assist with ensuring the Policy Portal houses up to date and relevant policies and procedures
- Assist with the preparation of presentation pack for the monthly Risk & Control meeting with senior management, briefing the team on recent Operational Risk incidents, risk trending analysis, etc.
- Assisting with the implementation of new controls and processes across all areas of Tax to ensure compliance with local Tax authority standards and reduce overall risk ratings
- Partner with Glasgow BCP coordinator along with colleagues in other tax locations, to implement a cohesive BCP strategy for the Tax Department
- Assisting with all aspects of management reporting required by the Department
- Identify opportunities across Tax Department for risk reduction and embed control solutions Qualifications: Skills Required:
- A bachelor’s degree in an accounting, finance or business discipline or equivalent experience
- Have strong communication skills
- Have the ability to manage and prioritize multiple streams of work
- Have strong analytical skills with a control focus and high regard to attention to detail
- Be able to demonstrate strong risk and control awareness
- Have a proven track record of developing and improving reporting and processes
- Be adept at working in a fast-paced, high-energy level environment
- Must have the ability to think critically and self-review
- Should challenge accepted processes, and suggest alternative solutions
- Self-motivated, with a desire to succeed and develop professionally and personally
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment and be a team player
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-SW1 Learn more about our culture and the opportunities for professional growth at Morgan Stanley in Glasgow on our https://www.linkedin.com/company/morgan-stanley/life/d76d12fa-ba6b-4962-9388-f9b8c53f50c0/ LinkedIn page and https://youtu.be/Ue0vNEImMyE Youtube channel. Build a career with impact. Apply today.