Associate Director, Operational Deal Services
Job Description Summary: Job Description:
We believe we're best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insight empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
Our Operational Deal Services team advises clients on the operational aspects of deals and on how to maximise their value. We also specialise in supporting clients with the design and implementation of organisation-wide change programmes that create a sustainable legacy well after the deal is done. We pride ourselves not just in providing insights during the pre-deal phase but in becoming a transformation partner and critical friend for our clients during the deal and beyond; helping them to solve complex problems effectively. As part of the wider Business Consulting team within Grant Thornton, we work with a high calibre team of subject matter experts in IT, HR, Finance and Business Operations as with the other Grant Thornton Deals Advisory teams working across the deal life cycle. Our work is mainly UK-based but often has an international dimension where clients have, or are looking to acquire, operations abroad. We work closely with other Grant Thornton International member firms in delivering international work and our team is one of several Operational Deals capability centres of excellence globally.
As an Associate Director, you'll be responsible for the day to day leadership of projects with light oversight from a Director or Partner and will work directly with client management, other advisors and investors. You'll also frequently work with other Grant Thornton Deal Advisory service lines (such as Transaction Advisory Services, Corporate Finance Advisory and Transactions Tax), potentially leading specialists from other disciplines as well as other operational deal and functional specialists. You'll interact with clients confidently and with impact.
An Associate Director will also take the initiative and lead business development activities internally and externally and will assist the leadership of the Operational Deal Services and wider Business Consulting teams, including in the development of service propositions and in the development of team members.
The role requires a combination of strong analytical skills, well rounded inter-personal skills and the ability to lead a team.
The role can be based at any of our offices in London, the Midlands, the North of England or the South of England but requires flexibility to travel throughout the UK, with the potential to travel overseas, depending on client requirements. From time to time you may also be required to support other projects in Business Consulting which are not related to deals and be prepared to work on multiple engagements at the same time. As a result, the role requires strong consulting skills and an ability to adapt to different kinds of work beyond the core Deals skillset. Let's talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you'll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from this Associate Director Operational Deal services role. Making quality second nature.
This means doing what's right even when no one's looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do. Own your own work.
Be a part of a team.
- The preparation of sales proposals and pitches and leveraging your established external network. You'll have a track record of proactively building internal and external networks to generate opportunities through the qualification of leads and continue to do this at Grant Thornton
- Understanding the services of Grant Thornton and taking an active role in cross-selling whilst raising the awareness of Operational Deal Services within the Firm
- Interpreting and analysing complex information, identifying business issues and applying technical knowledge appropriately to provide appropriate client solutions
- Creating a positive team working environment and working effectively and enthusiastically with all members of the team. You'll show leadership and always be prepared to get involved
- Supporting the provision of 'on the job' training to Managers and Executives including providing regular feedback and seeking the same from them to you
Build your brand.
- Leading day to day client relationships for a range of project sizes and taking responsibility for client delivery, including leading client meetings and workshops, presentation of project outputs and report drafting
- Assisting the Director or Partner with the day to day running of the department, leading internal initiatives and providing an appropriate level of delegation and support to other team members
Taking overall responsibility for project budgeting and management of actual costs versus budget and ensures fees are collected in a timely manner and debtors kept to a minimum The minimum criteria
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree (or equivalent)
- A formal Project/Programme Management or Accountancy/Finance qualification would be an advantage but is not essential
- Foreign language skills are desirable but are not essential
- Deep knowledge of two or more of the core Operational Deal Services offerings: buy-side/vendor due diligence; integration; separation/carve-out; day one planning; post deal change programmes
- Demonstrated experience of leading teams in complex fast paced environments
- Prior consulting (in-house or advisory) experience and significant project work experience
- Extensive experience of preparing and reviewing high quality written reports, Excel analysis and presentations
Skills to set you apart
- You have a genuine interest in business operations and M&A
- You are commercially focused with the ability to deliver innovative solutions
- You are focused on self-development as well as having the desire to coach, mentor and develop your colleagues
- You must also share our CLEARR values - Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Respect and Responsibility
Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don't worry if you don't tick every box. It's important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
Do you care about the same things we do?
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Understand and have the ability to discuss two or more of the core Operational Deal Services offerings in detail, demonstrating significant experience in these areas
- Project management and/or change management and/or transformation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, particularly PowerPoint and Excel
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we'll want you to show us how they're important to you, too. Collaboration:
We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out. Leadership
: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects. Excellence:
Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky. Agility:
The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible - changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done. Respect:
A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care. Responsibility
: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people's lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what's right. Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we're also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too. Bring your whole self
Now you've seen our values, it shouldn't be a surprise that we're creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
"We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone - regardless of background or gender." Dave Dunckley, CEO There's more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes...the things you do and the people you're with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you'd like to work flexibly, let us know. We're happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we'll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
View our video below to see what life is like at Grant Thornton.
Life at Grant Thornton