About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities & Our Ideal Candidate
To provide operational excellence/control, business planning, risk management, coordination and project management support for the Head of Financial Markets, Continental Europe as well as the Regional COO team.
- Proactively engage with FM COO teams and other support/control functions
- Leading the delivery of cross regional FM change initiatives
- Drive strategy creation and execution in the business, and work with the FM Heads and their management team
- Work with the FM Heads to highlight and resolve trade-offs between competing business investments and agendas
- Be aware of and understand the Group's business strategy and model for Financial Markets
- Be aware of and understand the wider CIB business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates
- Assist in the delivery of the management agenda - taking the lead to identify and drive initiatives designed to improve financial performance, operating efficiency, risk and people management
- Set the overall support agenda for the business, and work with PGC members and business leaders to define the priorities and goals for the different functions
- Represent the business when interacting with the support functions
- Stand-in for the FM Head as required
- Improve communication across business, function and geographies
- Assist in business budget and forecasting; understand and manage both direct and indirect costs of the business
- Prepare papers or provide updates as requested by governance committees
- Recommend and drive continuous improvements in the business, i.e. identify and executing ad-hoc improvements to business processes, policies, structure, and roles
- Responsible for identifying, assessing, monitoring, controlling and mitigating risks to the Group. Also, an awareness and understanding of the main risks facing the Group and the role the individual plays in managing them
- Review escalated Operational Risks and ensure that appropriate Control Standards are in place
- Maintain a strong and appropriate control environment across the business
Our Ideal Candidate
- Partner with BORM team to:
- Coordinate audits and work with the business to avoid audit failures and work with Compliance to ensure regulatory requirements are met
- Assess the effectiveness of the Group's arrangements to deliver effective governance, oversight and controls in the business and, if necessary, oversee changes in these areas
- Promote awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role
- Deliver 'effective governance'; capability to challenge fellow executives effectively; and willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner
- Drive the RPF agenda and New Product Approval process to ensure business are not inhibited by delays in Country Addendums/transaction approvals for new businesses; ensure business is conducted with proper authorisation. Ensure CA renewal timeframes are met
We are looking for candidates that align to our culture and values, which are an important part of who we are and what we stand for as an organisation. To be considered as a candidate, you will be required to complete a Culture Fit Assessment - this is an online assessment of your alignment and behavioral fit to our culture. The test takes approximately 30 minutes to completes and is mandatory. After your application you will get the link to the test to your mailbox. Should you not complete this assessment, you will be considered as not meeting the requirement of the role.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills -oral, written and presentation
- Have good understanding of Financial Markets' products and knowledge of Group policies and standards
- Must be a highly-motivated and energetic team player; able to work collaboratively and motivate others to achieve high standards, including with teams across multiple locations.
- Have exceptional organisational, problem solving and written / verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and diligence in execution
- Confidence to interact with senior managers and experience of consulting and influencing others within the Bank and at more senior levels.
- Ability and experience to evaluate business situations and determine the key risks which the business faces.
- Strategic thinker with strong business analysis and planning skills; capable of identifying and interpreting a wide range of issues, and a 'big picture' understanding.
- Proven disciplined and risk conscious approach to this business.
- Fluency in German preferred but not essential
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.