Cross-Commodity Strategist - Financial Engineering London - Great Britain
Description of the Business Line or Department
More than 200 analysts, strategists and economists combining their expertise into a cross-asset approach: analysis of the impact of major events on different asset classes, assessment of the links between asset classes, and strategic synthesis of this key information to provide an integrated view.
We benefit from a global coverage thanks to Societe Generale local networks in Eastern Europe (Moscow, Bucarest, Warsaw and Prague), the strengthening of our presence in the US, and in Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo), together with our established UK and Western European base. Summary of the key purposes of the role
Summary of responsibilities
- Cross commodity strategist - work with all team members on all questions relating to the commodity complex we conduct research on. Add value to the existing research.
- Help with thematic and research to be published in commodity compass or commodity review working with senior and junior researchers in CTY.
- Maintain or build databases and analytics to be used in role or with other team members
- We are looking for an Analyst/Associate profile who will be based in London
Level of autonomy and authority
- Generation and publishing of trading/hedging strategies. Assist in developing a trading strategies service within the commodity research team for our client base. Interact closely with the commodity analysts to translate their main fundamental calls into practical trading strategies. However, the trade ideas don't always have to follow the analysts' price forecasts. For example, a trade idea may be analyzing the smartest way to use options for bullish investors to go long gold even if the official SG forecast is bearish gold. Furthermore, trading strategies may involve analysis of hedging strategies for commodity producers and users, again irrespectively of SG's price forecasts. The trading ideas can be published in 'Commodity Review', 'Commodity Compass', 'SG Best of Trade Ideas', 'Energy Skew Drivers' and 'Commodity Strategy' publications, and also in other specials and cross asset publications.
- Promote commodity research externally and internally. Promote the team's commodity views and his own tactical trading ideas to both external and internal clients. This requires that he keeps up-to-date with the analysts views. It might involve meeting clients face-to-face & conference calls. It also requires close cooperation/pitching to CTY's and SG's sales people with a particular focus on Europe.
- Support the production of GRS documents. This mainly involves monthly contribution to the 'SG's best trade ideas' publication but may also involve ad hoc cross-asset publications. Help in the production of the commodity compass. Participate in the production of the flagship Quarterly Commodity Review Publication.
- Work with junior quant in the GRS junior program in London.
- Assist in quantitative assistance with other members of team (e.g., Gas database help/analytics)
- Abide by all compliance rules and risk management policies.
- High level of autonomy required
All our positions are open to people with disabilities Profile Competencies
- Strong quant background.
- Knowledge of commodity markets and pricing models and backtesting trade ideas
- Experience in building models
- Proficient in Word / PowerPoint
- Rigorous and curious
- Good programming skills: C++, VB/VBA, Python...
• Strong communicator
• Excellent organisational skills
• Database management Evolution
If you feel you have the required experience and qualifications, then please apply to the SG Resourcing Team, and we will manage your application. At Societe Generale, we believe our people are our strength and are core to the success of our business. As such, we search for, recruit and appoint the best available person on the basis of aptitude and ability, regardless of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or gender reassignment
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like "hard work" and "dedication" together with "community" and "respect" has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
Job code: 19000JVQ
Business unit: SG CIB
Starting date: 02/09/2019
Date of publication: 11/07/2019