Data Analyst - Web Document Acquisition
Bloomberg runs on data, and in Global Data we're responsible for acquiring it and providing it to our clients. We collect, analyse, process and publish the data which is the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal- the facts and figures which ultimately move the financial markets. We apply problem-solving skills to identify creative workflow efficiencies and we implement technology solutions to enhance our systems, products and processes- and all this while providing platinum customer support to our clients. What's the Role?
You will be configuring our industry-leading, proprietary web-scraping system to acquire important, market-moving documents from websites as quickly as possible. You will collaborate with our partners in Bloomberg News to understand EMEA markets and extract maximum performance from our infrastructure. The documents you acquire will be used by our customers, our extraction team and News.
You will use your technical problem-solving skills and knowledge of web technologies to successfully acquire documents from websites, which will sometimes require custom Python scripting. You will also be tasked with identifying opportunities to improve the efficiency of our processes by collaborating with the management & engineering teams to implement enhancements to the product. What you can expect from this opportunity?
You will take part in the Global Data Training Programme, which will help you build the foundation for your entire career at Bloomberg. You will enhance your financial knowledge, learn about our clients and their needs and build relationships throughout the company. The training will teach you financial concepts, data and the functions of our Terminal.
You will also receive comprehensive training in our proprietary web-scraping system, after which you will own a portfolio of coverage and be responsible for delivering successful acquisition for those companies. As your experience grows, you will have greater influence on Bloomberg's web document acquisition - whether that is through technical expertise, project management or leadership. What we do in Content Acquisition:
Collaborate closely with stakeholders in News to gather business intelligence and develop action plans
Find the best way to acquire documents from companies who first report their earnings on the web and coordinate this coverage with News stakeholders
Apply problem-solving skills to find the best way to acquire documents of different formats from different website architectures
Customize scraping jobs to deliver the documents as quickly as possible
Write Python scripts to optimize the acquisition and delivery of documents and metadata
Work in Agile Scrum, as part of a combined document acquisition/extraction team
Gather data to quantify the impact of the team's efforts and build data visualizations
Identify innovative work-flow improvements and enhancements to our processes and software What we look for:
We'd love to find someone who has:
- Bachelor's degree or higher academic achievement
- Motivated problem/puzzle-solver, interested in using different, leading-edge technologies to meet our business and product needs
- Examples of building production-quality code in a language such as Python
- Examples of collaboration with internal & external stakeholders to deliver technical projects in their businesses
- Experience delivering product increments in an Agile Scrum team
- Proven ability to build relationships with stakeholders at every level
- Examples of troubleshooting technical issues relating to data retrieval
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills for collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience using new and existing technologies to enhance workflows, products and infrastructure
Does this sound like you?
- Experience of crawling websites to retrieve new content/documents
- Experience extracting information from a variety of different document types
- Previous, demonstrable experience in managing the delivery of simultaneous technical projects and successfully prioritizing tasks
- Designed business intelligence solutions to provide insights into a dataset
- Worked in a scrum team as a product owner or scrum master
- Practical experience with a variety of front & back end web technologies
- Over a year's experience of using Python to build production code and a presence in virtual development communities such as GitHub, Stack Overflow and HackerRank
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are. In the meantime, feel free to have a look at this:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org.