Data Protection Manager - Vice President
Mitsubishi UFJ Securities International (MUSI) is the European hub of MUFG’s securities business. Headquartered in London we have just over 600 employees and are active throughout the international capital markets, focusing on debt, equity, derivatives and structured products. It is this vision and our corporate values that reflect who we are and guide how we behave. We therefore strive to recruit individuals who share our vision and values, and who have the motivation and commitment to help us move our business forward.
Overview of the Department/Section:
MUFG (Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group) is one of the world's leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with approximately 350 years of history, MUFG is a global network with around 2,300 offices in over 50 countries including the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Asia and Oceania, and East Asia. The group has over 150,000 employees, offering services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
As one of the top financial groups globally with a vison to be the world's most trusted, we want to attract, nurture and retain the most talented individuals in the market. The size and range of MUFG's global business creates opportunities for our employees to stretch themselves and reap the rewards, whilst our common values, to behave with integrity and responsibility, and to build a culture which is fair, transparent, and honest, underpin everything that we do.We aim to be the financial partner of choice for our clients, whatever their requirements, building long-term relationships, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
MUFG’s shares trade on the Tokyo, Nagoya, and New York (NYSE: MTU) stock exchanges. The group’s operating companies include, but are not limited to, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (BTMU), Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking (Japan's leading trust bank), Mitsubishi UFJ Securities Holdings (one of Japan's largest securities firms), and MUFG Americas Holdings.
Please visit our website for more information - mufgemea.com.
The Legal Department (Legal) provides legal services to and manages legal risk for MUFG’s banking arm in EMEA and securities arm internationally (collectively, the “Firm”). In managing legal risk, Legal seeks to develop and implement policies and procedures in order that the Firm’s contracts are legally appropriate, the Firm manages litigation and regulatory proceedings effectively, the Firm complies with laws and regulations and the Firm receives appropriate and timely legal advice on regulatory changes.
Main Purpose of the Role:
To ensure MUFG processes personal data relating to its staff, customers and other individuals in compliance with personal data protection requirements.
In this role, you will represent MUFG’s banking arm and securities business under a dual-hat arrangement. Under this arrangement, you will represent both the bank and the securities business, subject to the same remit and level of authority, and irrespective of the entity which employs you.
• Advising MUFG and members of staff of their data protection obligations
• Raising awareness within MUFG of data protection requirements and delivering appropriate training programmes
• Supporting MUFG's data protection officer (DPO) to implement and oversee a risk-based compliance monitoring programme for data protection
• Establishing procedures and providing advice on undertaking data protection impact assessments and maintaining up-to-date records of personal data processing activities
• Managing personal data breach reporting procedures (alongside MUFG's other incident management processes) to ensure that breaches are investigated and reported by the DPO to supervisory authorities and affected individuals where required within the prescribed timeframes, remedial actions are taken and lessons learned
• Ensuring requests from individuals to exercise their data subject rights, including subject access, erasure and portability requests and objections to processing, are fulfilled within the prescribed timeframes.
• Advising on third party data processing and data transfer agreements, including developing templates and guidance notes.
• Analysing new data protection laws and regulations and reporting to senior management on the impact of emerging data protection legislation / themes.
• Reviewing and recommending enhancements to MUFG's data protection policy and procedures, including to ensure they are compliant with applicable laws and align with MUFG's data governance framework
• Coordinating with counterparts in other EU locations to ensure a harmonised approach to data protection compliance across the EU
• Collaborating with colleagues across the globe to enhance global data protection and data governance standards across MUFG
Skills and Experience:
• Understanding of IT systems and operations, including information security standards and principles of data governance
• Knowledge of data protection laws
• Familiar with risk management techniques
• Experience working or advising companies in the financial services sector
• Strong academic credentials
Excellent communication skills
A proactive, motivated approach.
The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
Ability to demonstrate sound judgement
Excellent interpersonal skills
Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
Excellent Microsoft Office skills